Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is an often visited subject but I am fairly new and I want to do things right. I am just wondering if any one seen any adverse affects that may be related to supplementing pigeon feed with chicken layer feed which is really rich in nutrients (no animal protein). I have done a little research on the internet and I have noticed several individuals stating, they use chicken layer feed as a supplement but I haven't found any other comments about the subject. I have been using Dumor brand chicken layer as a supplement in small doses approximately %10, and all my birds seem to have been doing great with their diet. I use premixed wild bird food which contains Milo, some peas, wheat, very small amount of cracked corn, sunflower seeds mixed with chicken layer as a supplement. I do not fly my birds but they are generally out and about most of the day flying around, oh by the way they also like munching on my gravel drive way and eat grass and other vegetation while they are out of their loft.
I just wanted to get an opinion and make sure that the all my gals and boys will have long and happy lives while I am caring for them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sure, no problem with that. Some people actually only feed layer pellets.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if it is a pellet feed and they eat it then it can be good for the reasons you stated. the wildbird feed though Is ok in a pinch, If you can get a pigeon grain mix it would be better. that would have more legumes in it and not the sunflower seeds..if in the shell they really do not digest those well..if out of the shell then they may be too fattening.. unshelled sunflower can be given as treats though. there is also an issue with cracked corn with some thinking exposing the kernal is not good because corn is so vunerable to molds when cracked and the whole corn is protected from that..but allot feed cracked with no problems..just thought I would mention it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts