Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a baby Dove, he was 4 days old (I have already posted about him) he is now 9 days old, and I have a question about his food. He is currently having chick crumbs (soaked, blended, seived etc) doing very well with balloon method, and poops looking great. Feeding 6 hrly.(Thanks for the help Feefo) xx
He has shown interest in dipping his beak into a very shallow bowl of tepid water, and is swallowing some. Is he old enough for me to scatter a few budgie seeds out after his feed to see if I can get him to peck at them?
Also with his chick crumbs when or can I start leaving it a little courser in textue( i.e not seived as many times)?
Thanks Rachel

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It is a question of getting the correct balance for that particular bird as they do not all develop at the same rate, but as a guidance I looked up the instructions I gave Bronny, who hand reared Littlewood, one of the woodies that came to me.

You can start thickening the mix gradually as he gets older, by 10 days it should be like cheap ketchup, then up to thin mustard consistency.

Littlewood thrived on his chick crumb diet.

The worry always is that they will develop slow crop, when the food sticks in the crop too long. THat can be corrected but it is difficult.

Look at the weight increase stages that Paulie went through, if Splat makes a slower gain, then thicken the mixture a tiny bit, but always make certain that the crop is emptying between meals.

By the time he is 17 days old he can be provided with a few seeds that he can peck at, but just make it a few as sometimes the babies get carried away and eat too much.

I will ask one of our other UK dove rescuers to have a look at this thread, maybe she has an alternative view.

Cynthia

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cynthia,
The reason I aked is because Splat is nowhere near the other doves weight gain at that age. And has only put 3grams in 2 days the other one was between 8-10 grams daily!!
I will try to thicken his mixture a little and is crop is competely empty, but will keep checking. To be honest apart from getting about 6 little grey feathers on his side he still looks the same to me in size and appearance. He is alert, active and poops regulary.
Rachel

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Remember that it is very important that the food is served at the correct temperature, 39C, otherwise it might just sit in the crop.

I hope that the thickened food helps her gain weight, and that she isn't ill...very rarely baby birds fail to thrive as a result of illness and we also think that sometimes the parents push them out of the nest for this reason.

The photos show that you are feeding her enough each time, because her crop is plump. Does she seem to be hungry most of the time?

We had one case of a woodie that didn't thrive because he wasn't getting enough to eat. I can't see any similarities between Dudley and Splat (about form the usual concerns about wheter Dudley was a woodie or a dovey), but you might like to read the thread.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=16763&referrerid=560

Dudley started to tyhrive after his feeding had been adjusted.

Cynthia

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Well Splat is extremely hungry when feeding time comes round his crop is empty after around 5-6 hrs. Even when his crop is comfortably full he still tries to chew my hand off for more. Infact anytime he his lifted out of his "nest" he is looking to be fed.
Im going to very slightly thicken his food tonite, apart from his weight he appears to be progressing as he should, like his pin feathers are there.

I received the calcium from Janet today so that might help too.

I read the link about Dudley, very similar size and weight to Splat.

Well its a pity I cant feed him a cream bun, works for me to put weight on!!!!
Rachel

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got up this am fed Splat weighed him and guess what??......he has gained 7grams now 30grams. I feel cautiously better.

Now just to add to my worries my 11yr old rescue (i know I must attract them) labrador has been to the vets got knee ligament damage and arthritis. Two lots of meds for him. Got a small sanctuary growing here this past couple of weeks!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Now just to add to my worries my 11yr old rescue (i know I must attract them) labrador has been to the vets got knee ligament damage and arthritis. Two lots of meds for him. Got a small sanctuary growing here this past couple of weeks!
That's a shame about your dog. Both of mine are having major problems at the moment. My 8yr old has had two legs plated and pinned due to ligaments failing, and has bad arthritus in his others. Can't tolerate the meds either but we're trying a newer one at the mo, but still carries the same risks. My other one had some seizures at Easter out of the blue, vet has no idea why as yet. Hope your lab is ok on the meds and they help.

Looking forward to seeing what Splat weighs tomorrow, keep it up!

Janet

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
Just thought I would give a quick update on Splat.
He is now 10 days old and weighs 33grams.
This photo was taken today, his little feathers are coming through. SDC10466.jpg

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He is looking very well...I hope that he continues to thrive now!

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Splat looks lovely, very relaxed there. :)

How are his legs and feet looking ?

Janet

(Sorry I missed this yesterday, have been dogged by a computer virus, hopefully hubbie's got rid now). :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Janet,
His feet and legs are fine I removed the hobble and he is walking about alot which has helped.
Weight today 35grams..slowly but surely getting there, oh and must get him a mirror because the amount of time he spends preening himself he will need one. (must be male)!!!
Hope things are all going well with you and your brood...
Rachel x

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
Just a quick update on Splat. He is now 15 days old and gaining weight rapidly.
He has feathers on his wings and a lovely mohican on his head.
We have made him a new larger living accomadation, which he seems to like.
As I'm typing this he is sat at the side of me preening himself.

Rachel

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Gets better all the time doesn't it !
You'll have to get him a mirror, what a poser he's turning into. Obviously very proud of his new plumage. :)

I think a new picture's called for soon!

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is a great update! Any chance of a photo?

Cynthia

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Janet,
Yes I think I might persuade him to do a modeling session tomorow, thats if he stops preening himself for long enough.
We were sat in the garden this morning and just above where we found Splat we have a large conifer, my husband was stood on the ladders mending the football net and he noticed right in the middle of the tree a dove sat on a nest. And another dove in the tree opposite.
We have a history with these two doves, we moved here 12 yars ago and every year we get the two doves, and they plagued Tye (the dog) to death landing in the garden and waiting till he got close then flying off. Well as Tye got older and got arthritis he cant run as fast and you can see the look on the doves faces saying "come on then.."

On another note Tye went to vets this teatime for the first of his injections for his arthritis, keepin fingers crossed it helps, think the doves have wound him up because not only did he start growling at another labrador he then turned his attention to the fishtank and started on the fish!!!!

Rachel

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi back,

You're very lucky to get doves in your garden, I had two a few years ago but none since. I get plenty of Woodies and Stock Doves so I don't know why no doves. :(
Did you have Splat outside with you?
I never asked but are you planning on releasing him?

My two dogs used to race down the garden when fit and I'm afraid they have caught a pigeon in the past. I don't know how as I only have to blink while standing at the window and any woodies fly off.
Now my younger dog can't run he just has to watch my disabled ones in their home through the wire door. They both get so frustrated when the birds flap and they can't get at them.

Have to sympathise with Tye, arthritis does make you grumpy at times!!
I took my two dogs out together for their walk today which I don't normally do as the younger one is so slow with his arthritis, but didn't have time to do separate walks due to a vet appt. It took us an hour to cover what usually takes me 20 mins with my other dog. Bless. x
Hope the injection helps, it's hard to watch them struggling to move.

Janet

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Janet & Cynthia.
I tried to take some photos this am but they are too fuzzy so just reading instructions for new camera will post tonight...I promise.
We take Splat outside daily in the sunshine, he sits very quiet until he realises im there then likes to totter round, and the usual preening.
As regards releasing him my husband is going to build a house outside for him in the garden, and will be wanting more advice when the time comes, about letting him out, etc. I dont mind releasing him but am worried he wont survive.
What would you both suggest is the best way to make the transition outside?
Rachel

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The snag with collared doves is that they won't come and go from a cage or aviary in the garden, even the tame ones are likely to disappear if they are released. Unortunately they are escapologists without a homing ability. Turkey on this forum had two tame doves in her aviary and both disappeared after they got out (at different times). The same happened with my tame dove, Coriander. However, when I have deliberately released youngsters into the garden they have returned to the garden to eat, although they made no attempt to get back into the aviary (there is always a bowl of food on top of my aviary for the doves and woodies).

Cynthia

PS: When I had posted this I nearly had a heart attack because I looked down the garden and saw the aviary gate open! I rushed into the garden, expecting half my birds to have flown. Fortunately I have a security porch and the second door was secure, but I have no idea how the gate came to be open...I think I will have to put a padlock on it for safety.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How big would a house for him in the garden have to be, and would the other two doves in the garden cause a problem, if we released him? Finally what age do you think he could be released?
Rachel

1 - 20 of 54 Posts