Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2 18 day old babies inside. I had mom and dad in until yesterday to feed them but finally had to reclaim my bedroom and put them out in the loft. I have been giving the babes Kaytee exact formula and I noticed yesterday, the smallest one wants to eat and eats very efficiently directly from the bowl. Does this mean a readiness for transition to seeds? The larger one wants the syringe. Any and all advice would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi, I have 2 18 day old babies inside. I had mom and dad in until yesterday to feed them but finally had to reclaim my bedroom and put them out in the loft. I have been giving the babes Kaytee exact formula and I noticed yesterday, the smallest one wants to eat and eats very efficiently directly from the bowl. Does this mean a readiness for transition to seeds? The larger one wants the syringe. Any and all advice would be appreciated.:)
When I hand feed babies inside, I have seed available for them. The more seed they eat, I decrease their formula feedings. Even when they start eating on their own, they still want me to feed them. So I will give them a small feeding once a day or every other day just for the interaction. Keeps them socialized to me, so when I put them in the loft they still come to me to play. :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Excellent! Should I soak the seed?
do not think you need to soak them...but make your hand act like a beak and peck at the seed in front of them..they get curiouse and want to pick too, sometimes it takes time for them to start to actually get one and swallow it...but once they do..it is progressing from there.:)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
do not think you need to soak them...but make your hand act like a beak and peck at the seed in front of them..they get curiouse and want to pick too, sometimes it takes time for them to start to actually get one and swallow it...but once they do..it is progressing from there.:)
That's what I do - and no, I don't soak the seed :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I would make sure they have access to seed/water at all times, but still give hand feedind as needed. Just feel crops occasionally during the day, see if they have seeds in crops. If you have one interested in self feeding, he'll teach the other to self feed, too.
I'm still handfeeding Cupcake, but pulled Walter from the outside coop today, to go in with Cupcake. Walter is my last fig baby, very, very tiny, and uniquely colored, never seen anything like her (so tiny, I'm thinking a hen). Walter is self feeding, and fairly tame. I'm going to let Walter teach Cupcake how to eat like a grown up bird.
Daryl

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I would make sure they have access to seed/water at all times, but still give hand feedind as needed. Just feel crops occasionally during the day, see if they have seeds in crops. If you have one interested in self feeding, he'll teach the other to self feed, too.
I'm still handfeeding Cupcake, but pulled Walter from the outside coop today, to go in with Cupcake. Walter is my last fig baby, very, very tiny, and uniquely colored, never seen anything like her (so tiny, I'm thinking a hen). Walter is self feeding, and fairly tame. I'm going to let Walter teach Cupcake how to eat like a grown up bird.
Daryl
AND.........where are the pictures?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Daryl
What a great idea. Yeah, the bigger one copied the small one this maorning but still wanted mostly syringe feeding. Wierdo!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The little one taught the big one to eat from the bowl but they want me to hold it for them! That's fine. But they stick their beaks in the formula up to their eyeballs! It's a tiny condiment type bowl.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts