Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most every one help feed the baby's in the nest? And why? In time with helping feed, would it change the parenting instinct in pigeons?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you for your concern over the youngsters.

Normally you don't help the parents, they do a very good job. Sometimes if they are unexperienced and very young, birds under a year, they may need to mature, but if they are healthy there shouldn't be an issue and need to intervene. They need to be comfy and have roomy nest boxes and access to food and water 24/7.

I have only had to intervene when parent bird abandoned the babies, and some people intervene when one baby doesn't seem to be eating enough, isn't able to compete with the sibling or there are health issues involving the parents and/or babies.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do most every one help feed the baby's in the nest? And why? In time with helping feed, would it change the parenting instinct in pigeons?
I help feed my first round of squeekers only. I do this to reduce the stress on the parents. I also do this to ensure that my first round grow up healthly and strong by making sure their crops are full. By doing it this way, IMO, my second round will have the same vitality as my first.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The only time I ever help out is if I get a runt.
Same here, but I usually have foster parents that will raise the runt for me. A runt is cause when the birds hatch more than a day apart. The squabs grow so fast that the day difference can make the first squab twice the size as the second and have it taking most all the food. When this happens I separate the two and foster one.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts