Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the kids are both away from school and I leave for work at 4 am and it is getting dark early I have no choice but to feed when I get home from work. I was worried about turning on the lights and feeding them and then turning off the lights and stranding any birds that did not return to their roosts or nest boxes. I just found a light bulb that really works great it slowly dims over a period of 37 min. giving the birds time to settle in. You can use it as a regular light, night light or dimmer. It is called Drift Light.
http://seesaffron.com/drift-light

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Interesting. I get home late too and by tye time I feed them, it is dark. But they usually have already eaten the scattered breakfast leftovers for dinner.
cwebster, why not just leave them enough for the day when you feed them in the morning? That's what I do. The people who fly or race them feed them twice, but you don't do that, so can just give enough for the whole day.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Mine just get treats sometimes at night. I like the idea of that light bulb white homers mentioned. I do kind of the same thing with the lights. I turn on a 15 watt that they can see enough to get back to their own perch or box, and turn off the brighter light. They know to go perch for the night. Give them a while then turn out the low watt lamp.
Like when your parents told you to get home when the street lights went on! LOL. :D

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have a 15 watt light in each of the flight cages set on a timer, dusk to dawn. Inside the lofts I have a 25 watt light that turns on at dusk and set to shut off 2 hours later. That gives me time to feed when I get home from work, then time for them to settle before it shuts off.
I only use the lights inside the lofts for the winter, when it gets dark early. The flight cage lights are on year round to help keep predators away.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I use a regular lamp to see inside the shed after dark to feed everybody, then turn it off. There is a night light that comes on when it gets dark giving just a small amount of light so they can see. Outside is a motion detector light should anything apprach the shed. I like your idea of the timer though.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I like about the bulb is it slowly dims over 37 min. For regular light just flip the switch. For it to slowly dim flip the switch 2x. For it to dim and then stay as a night light flip switch 3x. Also its led thought I would need 2 for the loft but one is bright enough.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What I like about the bulb is it slowly dims over 37 min. For regular light just flip the switch. For it to slowly dim flip the switch 2x. For it to dim and then stay as a night light flip switch 3x. Also its led thought I would need 2 for the loft but one is bright enough.
It sounds really cool. Let us know how long it lasts. Would be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I use a regular lamp to see inside the shed after dark to feed everybody, then turn it off. There is a night light that comes on when it gets dark giving just a small amount of light so they can see. Outside is a motion detector light should anything apprach the shed. I like your idea of the timer though.
Yes.....I also have a solar motion sensor light on the outside of the lofts.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I like the idea of the solar motion detector. Can it be above the loft? It's sunny up there on the deck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts