Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all these videos where the birds will eat from their owner's hand. I try to do it all the time with my birds and they don't eat from my hand. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
you can sit quiet in the loft and call them at the same time toss a few peanuts on the ground or on top of the feeder , do this every day and they will get to know you and that they will get a treat when you're in the loft . I have had birds that will fly up and land on my hand to get the peanuts first , but know that some birds will never get to that point of landing in your hand but they will be more friendly. After your birds get in the habit of eating peanuts you will be able to hold a peanut in your fingers and they will take it willingly .

·
Banned
569 Posts
I see all these videos where the birds will eat from their owner's hand. I try to do it all the time with my birds and they don't eat from my hand. Any suggestions?
The reason why they ARE eating out of a humans hand is because they let their natural instincts and guard down. The reason most times for that is because they are so so hungry they are willing to risk it and get that close. Personally I don't want to put my birds through that, but that is just me.

If you hatch young ones I would offer treats when they are still in the nest being fed and do it on a regular basis, offer chopped peanuts. As they grown and get weaned they possible could remember the treats esp if you had a sound you used before offering it. Sometimes you would have to pop a few seeds in their throat to swallow to show them you are there to gift them treats. I have gotten close with young ones but they usually stop being so needy and no longer get close to me by the time they mature and want a mate I'm not important any longer to them, I suppose that is natural.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts