Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You mentioned rape seed being good for the birds. I can't find the article, but Cornell U along with a big University in Europe did a study on pigeons and feed. They say rape seed or canola as we know it is not good for pigeons. I just wish I could find the report so I could post it.
Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mentioned rape seed being good for the birds. I can't find the article, but Cornell U along with a big University in Europe did a study on pigeons and feed. They say rape seed or canola as we know it is not good for pigeons. I just wish I could find the report so I could post it.
Dave
I race pigeons and I give Rape seed to my race birds in small amounts. Rape is what we call hot meaning to much is not good for the birds but a little bit does wonders for them. Because its high in fat the birds love it and it helps keep their weight up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To much of a good thing can be harmful! I've never heard that Rape is not good for pigeons. I have heard that giving to much of it is bad. Most Belgian pigeon treat mixes use Rape in small quantities and if it was bad you'd think they wouldn't put it in their feed.

Have you tried Googling the article or calling the University?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I race pigeons and I give Rape seed to my race birds in small amounts. Rape is what we call hot meaning to much is not good for the birds but a little bit does wonders for them. Because its high in fat the birds love it and it helps keep their weight up.
Pigeons metabolize fat in a totally different way than mammals. Too much is not good for them and Crazy Pete is correct. You might want to study pigeon nutrition and their physiology. Take care.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
To much of a good thing can be harmful! I've never heard that Rape is not good for pigeons. I have heard that giving to much of it is bad. Most Belgian pigeon treat mixes use Rape in small quantities and if it was bad you'd think they wouldn't put it in their feed.

Have you tried Googling the article or calling the University?
I may have fed it with my birds as well and I didn't see any ill effects. But, obviously it is a supplement type for me and not their main feed.

I must admit that I have watched your videos in Youtube and I learned a lot from it. I just want to say 'thanks'.

rod

·
Registered
762 Posts
My pijies have lots of peanuts in the winter, to keep them fat and warm. its getting colder,, but I think i'll switch back to my summer mix and put everyone inside my room, because their water freezes in less than an hour!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.