Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a "search" and checked Philodice's list of toxins for any information on Pecans. Here in the south, we have an ample supply in the fall. So, I wondered if anyone has any experience with feeding raw chopped pecans to their pigeons. I have not offered any to WeiPea yet. I wanted to hear from the experts first! Thanks Naunnie

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have done it!! Walnuts, pecans and almonds....I stayed away from Cashews and the mixed nuts. They didn't get eaten but you know...every bird is different. I think there is a post here about nuts let me see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tamara. I didn't think to "search" for "nuts":rolleyes:. Did Petey like them? I'm afraid WeiPea is getting a little picky and he still needs to gain some weight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Petey didn't like them...I used sunflower seeds to fatten Petey up and now they are his favorite so much that I have to take them away. For a while I also did the peas, corn and carrot every other night or so until he weighed above 300g. Have you weighed WeiPea yet?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I've tried to weigh him. I used my kitchen scales. Even though I reset them....I'm not sure how accurate they really are. On these scales he only weighs 240 grams(8 oz.):(. I did not weigh him until a couple of days ago. He is not so crazy about peas and corn anymore. I've been feeding a wild bird seed but my feed store has special ordered pigeon feed for me. I'm on my way now to see what they got in and pick up some safflower seed. I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have you tried peanuts? Mine loves peanuts! It took him awhile to get used to the shape but once he did he went crazy for them and they are good for gaining weight

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have a couple of starlings and I always have a bowl of there food out and the pigeons LOVE it. Its chopped up dry cat food. Main ingredient on the cat food bag must be chicken or turkey, not by product, or corn meal. I chop up 2 cups of cat food, and 1/2 cup of Egg laying pellets for chickens. They run to that bowl every morning to see what the starlings have left them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone answer my original question about feeding their pigeon pecans?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well Im not an expert, but IMO keep the pecans and make pies and use them in your cooking...pigeons are grain eaters and the "nuts" are just for treats given is small amounts...so there really is'nt a point in it...because you know you can give them other nuts as treats.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you tried peanuts? Mine loves peanuts! It took him awhile to get used to the shape but once he did he went crazy for them and they are good for gaining weight
I'm a new pigeon person . . . can they handle the size of raw, shelled or Spanish peanuts? Or do you need to break the peanuts apart into smaller pieces? Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything I've read says to chop up the peanuts. Try a "search" for peanuts I sorry I can't remember where I read it exactly. May be under pigeons feeds???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm a new pigeon person . . . can they handle the size of raw, shelled or Spanish peanuts? Or do you need to break the peanuts apart into smaller pieces? Thanks!
yes they can...if a little wild dove can eat a whole corn kernal a pigeon can eat a peanut...just don't give them too many.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I first gave Stanley peanuts he would only eat them if I cut them up into pretty small pieces and then as he got used to eating them I would gradually increase the size.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I first gave Stanley peanuts he would only eat them if I cut them up into pretty small pieces and then as he got used to eating them I would gradually increase the size.
Thanks very much! Chauncey didn't like the size when I tried the raw nuts, so I'll start small.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts