Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you put food tubs in the nest box when the birds are sitting on eggs or after the eggs hatch or do you not need to bother?

Also can the birds go out flying if they have eggs and young or is it best to keep them inside?

·
Registered
385 Posts
You don't need to put the feed bowl in the nest. The hen and cock will take turns on the nest and during the turn off the nest is when they eat. Also I think you should not fly them when breeding, it's best that they stay together.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Do you put food tubs in the nest box when the birds are sitting on eggs or after the eggs hatch or do you not need to bother?
I do. Unless you feed twice a day and even then, you have to watch the nesting birds very carefully, because they won't always leave the eggs to come eat. For me, it's just easier to put a small bowl of feed in the box and not have to worry about it.

Also can the birds go out flying if they have eggs and young or is it best to keep them inside?
I don't ever let birds that are on fertile eggs and/or babies fly. If something happens to one of them, then that leaves one parent to do everything and that don't always work out so well.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Dad gets on the nest around ten in the morning until five in the afternoon. I will feed the birds early in the morning and noon, or noon and late in the evening. This ensure that Dad is off the nest at one feeding and Mom is off the nest at the noon feeding. Now, I do put food and water in the nest box when the babies are three weeks old. This is so they see Mom and Dad eating and learn to eat too. Make weaning easier.

They can, but if you lose a mate chances are you lose two babies also. Why take the risk, (I learned the hard way, you were smart enough to ask).

·
Registered
58 Posts
A little tip from down under leave your stock pigeons locked up thats there job breeding and unraced or un trained pigeons make the best stock pigeons. So what about good race pigeons I put into stock you asksimple I breed out of them and put the youngens into stock. As for feeding I leave feed in front of them all day. You will find when youngens are just hatched the stockies will go for Peas after two weeks they tend to go for Wheat and Milo these are the only graing I feed in the stock loft when breeding they get the rest once they are in the race loft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts