Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
o im just asking how much should I feed my birds? 2 teaspoons are 1 ounce right?
If these are homers that you are flying and trying to control, then start out with 1oz per bird, so 1/2 oz twice a day, if they don't leave anything after 20 mins or so, perhaps up it a bit, or if they leave some cut it back a bit, having just a few seeds left is fine for me, that is when I know they have had enough. If you are just feeding fancy birds, the 1oz a day is fine too, but for breeding birds they have food all day to eat. I use one of those large measuring quart pitchers to measure the feed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
o im just asking how much should I feed my birds? 2 teaspoons are 1 ounce right?
It takes about 1 1/2 Tablespoons to make an ounce. There are 3 teaspoons in one Tablespoon. If you were to feed them 2 teaspoons per bird, per day, you would starve them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How much are you feeding them in the morning?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
but when I feed them in the morning of amount of the food that I feed daily they dont finish it all so does that still mean im starving them?
If you give them the whole amount that you feed them daily in the morning, they won't finish it. They should be fed twice daily. In the morning, and in the evening, or late afternoon. They can't eat their whole daily amount at one time. Do you feed them only once? Or do you feed them two times a day?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That might be a better way for you to do it jang. It seems to make more sense than trying to measure out the exact formula.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoon (close to it)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
no I only feed them once at 3 afternoon and I tried to feed them at 7 in the evening but none of them came down to eat..
once in the morning and again in the afternoon 3 to 5 pm, before they start going to roost for the night. if you are having a hard time measuring, then do as ggoss said above, but be sure to pick up the food after 20 mins. sounds like an easy way to feed to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine get fed at 07:30 in the morning. Then when I get home I let them out to fly at 18:00 (6pm). I shake the feed can around 7pm. They fly in so fast and furious it's rediculous. They are in and standing next to the feed tray before I even pour it IN!!

They will even buzz by my wife's head if she is standing in front of the loft HAHAHA!

*****Also the reason why I do time over measurement is to allow....weak..strong ...aggressive...and passive....birds to get their fill. Otherwise it facilitates fighting and starvation. BUT.....my birds absolutely understand there is a time limit.

And.....if I am going out for dinner and know I wont be home in time to fly and feed them...I just leave feed out all day.

Better fat than dead I say....Plus it's breeding season and mommies should be pumping food into thier babies. One missed meal is devestating!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts