Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been trying to find a companion for Fiona, who just laid another egg. We have had her for over two years and she has always been very affectionate. For the past two days she has become very aggressive, biting intensely. She sits watching the two,hens in the cage next to,her who are sitting on eggs. She has never been aggressive. Does this mean anything? Have been trying to get her a friend because she looked lonely.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I really think that with a mate or companion she will settle down. Being a lone bird isn't good. It's lonely. And right next to her are the two together. When she has eggs, she has no one to even help her with the sitting on them. I think that is probably her only problem. Think of how lonely and boring it is for her, just sitting in that cage all day every day. They would also have more to do if they had the whole shed to roam around it.

I am having a big problem with a young male I have who has been harassing this other pair for months. He barges into their box and is trying to take the hen. I have to keep him locked up in the loft, and let him out for a few hours a day, while I lock them up for their own safety. I'm tired of it. I have brought him inside for a few weeks too, and returned him. But he just won't stop going after that one hen. It's terrible. I know a guy with rollers, and he said he would give me one of his hens after he tests them to see which are the best flyers. I'm hoping that this one little black female doesn't do well at all, as I have my sights set on her. LOL. I think he will calm right down once he has his own mate. They usually do.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jay3, am still waiting to find out when/if I can adopt Blue as a friend for Fiona. Maybe I will just quarantine her for two weeks instead of the usual month. Hope the little black female doesn't fly well so she can keep your young male company soon.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thanks.
Why is she not sure about giving you the female? Either way, she will want to separate them.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She wants to arrange several appts then meet me halfway. She is older like me and probably consolidates trips. I told her if she has decided to keep the bird it's ok just please let me know.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue pigeon's owner can't arrange a time this week. Think she is having second thoughts. Fiona laid her second egg today and immediately got friendly again. Will keep looking for a friend for her. Put Timothy hay and orchard grass pieces in near her nest and that of Tracy and Lucy. They seemed to like that.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes, they do like Timothy hay. I sometimes use that.
I hope she isn't going to change her mind. Maybe you should look on Craigs list again. Things change on there all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts