Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I detected "Dave" our female ring dove was favoring her right leg when strolling on the floor. I daily let her and her male mate "Diva" come upstairs from their big flight cage to clean up the seeds that the cockatiles throw out of their cages. They then fly back dwnstairs and into their cage.

Around 5 p.m. I looked for her in the big cage and found she had not gone downstairs...She was resting on an air purifer, and could not stand on her right leg.

I am not sure if she somehow reinjured her leg....she has a habit of going into one of the cockatiel cages to steal food, or had a crash...she and Diva are excellent flyers and have never bumped into anything.

What are the recommended steps to begin diagnosis and treatment? I made her comfortable with water and food in her sedentary state in her nest. She does drink and eat, but cannot stand on the leg. I held her and quickly examined her right leg...no blood or swelling, no twist or anything misshapen. Color is normal.

I will likely get her to a bird vet . She is quite old, and until this happened ws in superb health.

Thanks for any ideas on care.

Colin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for reply. I'm moving her to a nest box/enclosure upstairs, keeping her warmer than usual and watching. She is feeding well but not drinking....reviewing tricks to make sure she is not drinking out of choice, not inconvenience. She did drink water ut of my partner's hand yesterday, but not since....
I will give her a closer exam when I move her. Her mate is always close by, and when upstairs will have much company.

c

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hi, maybe it's only a blow/trauma to the leg. Over the years it happened even to some of my birds...Birds are "experts" in having strange accidents...

I would try to put on her leg a cream for contusion/sprain/etc and see if there is any improvement (put it twice a day for a few days. I usually decide how many days on a case-by-case basis).

You wrote that maybe she reinjured her leg. What kind of injury did she have in the past? Broken leg? Only a blow? In all cases, if she hit again the same leg that could explain even more the pain.

How old is she?

How is the weather like there? Is the humidity high? Past injuries could be affected by weather.

Water bowl is easily accessible? Does she have any preference for water? I mean, does she love ACV water or something else? If yes, you could give that to her even if it's not the planned day, it could stimulate her to drink on her own.

One more thing. If you suspect even a blow to the head don't give her additional warmth because warmth could make head trauma worse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Columbina:

When I said reinjured...I had noticed one day that she was a tiny bit lame...suspected an injury or incident from getting into the deep and complex cockatiel cages and stealing food... suspected she bumped her toe or something minor. She has to make a determined effort getting in and out, so I suspected that. Walked with a bit of a waddle when hoovering up the scattered seed on the floor. The next day found her sitting quietly and unable to use her right leg.

She is ancient...15? Weather fine here.

She's eating well and does actually attempt short flights but lands and then sits..prefers flat surfaces for landing and perching. I discourage her flying of course. Her mate is doting on her. She has been less vocal lately...usually she and I call back and forth often. Understandable....

I believe she will pull through, frequently monitoring her vitality which is very good. She does pull her leg back and forth...retracting, but will not put weight on it. There's function and mobility but no weight bearing.

Watching, observing, nurturing and hoping for her recovery.

C

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks for the update.

From what you said, probably it's only a blow to the leg (which is painful...).
As I wrote, when my birds have similar accidents I'm used to apply a cream for hematoma/contusion/etc . If you don't like the idea of applying "traditional" medicaments you could opt for homeopathic treatments like, for example, arnica. I used it only for my beloved cat Kira (she was a senior and had some problems with her legs ) but I know that it can be used even for pigeons.

Give a look at this old thread (btw, they mention the use of arnica even for rheumatic/arthritic joints. In case you suspect age related issues...):

As your doves love to steal food from cockatiel cages there could be a way to make the access to those cages easier and safer for them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We used Rescue Remedy and homeopathic Arnica in liquid form.

I did start opening the lower door of the cages for easy access, but they insist on playing on the perches....it was just an idea and your advice is right...just because they want to do something doesn't make it smart or safe...nmeed human supervision.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I understand, animals are all very stubborn 🙄.... And they have the "ability" to put themselves in dangerous situations...

Little by little try to get them used to the easier and safer access. Try to make it "attractive"... I don't know, you could for example daily sprinkle there their favorite cockatiel food (the one that they steal with more enthusiasm)...as I said, they all are very stubborn (since weeks my pigeon Chris "Pikachu" got obsessed by my dove's hanging basket ....) but maybe with time they will stop with their "reckless behavior"...

How is her leg doing? Sorry for the question but I'm curious... What is Rescue Remedy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rescue remedy is a Bach Flower remedy preparation that is used for any type of shock situation. Who can prove whether these agents scientifically work? I administer Rescue Remedy in personal trauma and shock situations as a first agent. Emotional/physical mental. I am using Arnica liquid 200C in her drinking water, which she now is interested in taking periodically. She is very perky and would love to just do a flap around the room.

Dave is in a small cage perched on top of of the cockatiel cages and is restricted in her motion. She certainly wants to get out and travel, but has no strength in the right leg. She now has the companionship of the cockatiels and our parakeet, as well as her doting mate, Diva. All 6 of our birds do form a community despite their different species. The relational lives of animals is deep and strong, so I'm keen on encouraging this access to each other's presence.

We named the doves early on before we knew their gender. They are rescue birds from an abandonment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave is doing very well, she is able to move her leg back when stretching, Managed to get herself up on the smallperch in the little cage, and I saw her scratching her cheek with the damaged leg. She has learned to hop on one leg to avoid putting weight on it. Amazing.

I have been reluctant to do the entire veterinary visit because of her age and the distance to the vet. My partner was convinced, "this is how she dies", and "she is so old", and "the vet will not be able to do anything but put her down". I see it, and sense it differently. By watching her and reading her vitality and her adaptations to move around, feed herself and monitoring her upward progress, I am convinced that she is recovering extrememly well...perhaps with permanent lameness, but will lead a longer life. She started her habitual cooing with her mate...a good sign. My greatest dread was the pain she is experiencing....but I have had broken bones and sprained joints and surgical recoveries from injuties...here I am now.

Convinced that it is not time to put her down, and that she will be a full participant in the flock, I will get her to a vet ( a long trip) to get an opinion, and care for her in recovery. I have seen one-legged birds do very well once they gain the balancing skills.

Colin

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Absolutely no need to euthanize her even in case of permanent lameness... If the vet will suggest that.... Better to find a new vet...

From what you said, it seems that she is improving a lot and that she is feeling much better. I'm very happy to hear that!

Pigeons are very tough and can live well even with disabilities. All my birds are rescues (except for Nora June, she's the daughter of my pigeons Ben and Caterina), most of them are disabled. Geordi is blind in both eyes, Apple has a broken wing and can't fly,... I can confirm you that they are all happy birds with happy lives!

In case she didn't hit her leg but is experiencing age-related issues (like rheumatic/arthritic joints for example)... Well, that's inevitable... I mean soon or late it will happen to all of us... Even in that case no need to euthanize. .. My cat Kira lived with us for 20 years, fortunately she had an excellent health (she had a serious issue only about an year earlier than her death) but she developed too some age-related issues, she had problems with her posterior legs... The vet prescribed us arnica pills and when needed I gave them to her. You are giving her liquid arnica, that should help with pain.

Thanks for the info about Bach Flowers. Yes, I have heard and seen those products but I have never tried them.

Anyway, I'm sure Dave will have a long life with you, her husband Diva and all the other birds of the gang!

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave is doing well, returned to her flight cage with mate Diva. She perches easily with her mate...they roost together on a 1" square perch,and both share in ground feeding, water bathing and all activites. When released they fly up the spiral staircase and rest onthe cockatiel cages, and before they are released we turn off the overhead Casablanca fan. They love to hang out there or up in our circular window. After a while they fly back down to the big cage that gets closed in at night.

All good, thanks for the encouragement.
Colin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts