Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey friends most of u know about my pair of pigeons monto & molly..now they are in my sisters house as she liked them a lot and they also liked her in a week itself..so she took them..
so i got a pair of birds for me last week from my friend who got them from a breeder. in one week they got accustomed to their new home also they started getting feed from my hand and i have decided i won't be giving them to anyone at any cost cos they are so nice but the prob is the female is not allowing the male to go inside the box even if he goes later she tries to drag him out...why is this happening ...both are not mated pair or nested pair...but i am 100% sure they are male/ female..as both of them had their different partners at the breeders place from whom my friend got it.

i am also attaching their fotos first foto is female and second foto is male.kindly suggest..

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sometimes hens can be very dominant. If she was mated before she was given to you, she may still be in the mindset that she is still 'married', and the nestbox belongs to her, so she's protecting it. If this is the case, soon she'll realize she's single and should warm up to him. Or, she could just be naturally aggressive. If you want them mated up, and if you can, you may want to separate them in cages beside each other. That way they can still see each other and bond, but the can't get aggressive and hurt each other.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
instead of putting them in cages can i just leave it up to them as if the female is inside male just sits near the entrance of the box and sees her..and they don't hurt each other..or is it really necessary to have a cage..cos i feel bad to put them in cage ...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If they were mated to other birds, then why did they brake up the pairs? Why did he not give them away with their own mate?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i asked my friend the same question for which he said both were mated to their pairs who were of entirely different colour some sort of black and brown and my friend wanted to have a white pair..so only the breeder separated them and gave it to my friend.. i felt very bad and we went to the breeder again to get their original but he sold them to somebody else...so only i decided to get them from my friend to atleast provide them good environment with healthy feed and a caring friend (tat's me lol)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Time will tell. They look wonderful. Got any names for them yet? Let them be and they will soon find out that it's only the two of them and they will most likely to pair up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks jmaxpsi...nice to hear from u after a long time... how r ur friends...
same name monto and molly...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Perhaps I'm being dense but it seems to me the fact that they were previously mated to other birds does not preclude the possibility that they are of the same sex. I have several mated pairs but I have no idea which of the pair is male and which is female.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Perhaps I'm being dense but it seems to me the fact that they were previously mated to other birds does not preclude the possibility that they are of the same sex. I have several mated pairs but I have no idea which of the pair is male and which is female.
Do you have many birds? When they are very young, I of course am not sure of the sex. But as they mature, and mate up, it's pretty obvious who is who. Of course, I only have 23 birds and spend a lot of time with them. They're my pets. I guess if I had lots of birds, it could be hard to keep track.:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey friends thanks for ur reply...but it seems they are paired up now..as my male is producing the runting sound and female use to go inside and pecks him around his neck and head...and they both use to be there inside the box for a while ..then again the male use to bow and coo and female use to come out of the box..this is happening again and again...also i did notice that only my male coos with a high sound gets puffed bows rotates drags his tail and does all the courtship behaviour...whereas my female coos very less and she never bows or rotates, but when the male produces runting sound till she reaches near the mouth she is ok but when she enters the box she drags her tail for a very little time and goes hear him to peck around his neck and tries to kiss.

is everything normal...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes................it does seem that they are paired up.:)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Has the female started kissing the male ? once paired and after the courtship ritual the female puts its beak into the males and accept something from the male (I am not sure if its food or some other secretion). Usually this is followed by mating

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dear shreesh i didn't see that yet as whatever pecking happens it 's inside their nest box so it's less chance for me to see also i come to room only at 7 pm by the time they use to go inside the box and do all sorts of pecking with the runting sound..only once i tried to see from outside saw them pecking near neck and runting and after seeing me they stopped so didn't feel like disturbing them... i will try to see it on sunday as they will be outside but as i am going out this sunday so i can tell only next sunday but in between if i come to know i will tell u for sure...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts