Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
332 Posts
Sometimes, they may lay one egg at a time in the winter, or if they are low on calcium, or are elderly. I have a broody African Collared dove which lays often (a little too often). I have to add a little liquid calcium gluconate (reptile food spray works well) and literally a few grains of kosher salt to water along with 8-in-1 Vitasol. I heard from a few scientific sources salt is necessary in the formation of the shell. Not quite sure how much calcium is in safflower seeds but I suspect very little. Ohhhh yeahhh, pigeons LOVE safflower seeds and mine ALWAYS gobbles them up first. The only thing I know they love better than safflower seeds are sunflower hearts, but they are too fatty and I reserve them for rare treats. The Omega fatty acids in Safflower seeds are much better than sunflower seeds and will not cause fatty liver disease. Sometimes I have to skip on the Safflower seeds so they will eat the millet and Niger for more protein. Some birds will self-regulate their diet and eat a balanced mixture. But youngsters take time to learn other seeds are edible.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts