Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday we witnessed in our backyard a female mourning dove mating with multiple males. she was very docile and just stayed crouched up against the fence or under a bush. we could get within two feet of her then she would just kind of take a short flight to get away. we don't know if this is normal or if she was sick. i know the males were just all over her.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I don't know much about Mourning Doves specifically, but my view is any pigeon or dove that is that apparently 'docile' is almost certainly sick or injured, and needs to be brought into a safe place at least temporarily, or she will not last long.

If you can catch her, please put her in a cardboard box, pet carrier or some safe housing to start with. Our Stateside members will then be able to advise better what to look for, or if there may be a rescue facility near you, if you provide a location.

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
I work at a wildlife center in Texas and mourning doves are the main animal brought in. I have also seen this in my own coop because I have been rescuing pigeons for the past 16 years. To me it sounds like, if there are no visible injuries, that she is probably a young juvi. If you can get a close look at her to judge her age it would be very helpfull, because often there are young adult males that will 'mate' with babies, the babies, male or female, are confused about what is going on and will fly short distances because that is all they are able to do, but the young males will still try to mount her.
If there is a way you could catch her without causing to much stress, check underneath her wings and near the base of her beak, if the feathers are not fully grown in and if her tail seems shorter then theirs, she is a juvi, just learning how to fly and the young males are just 'practicing' on her, and not actually 'mating'.
Make sure there are no cats in the area and keep an eye on her, but this is very common and not to much to worry about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts