Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pair of pigeons visit my balcony every day, who I call Devilbacon* (the male) and Devileggs (the female). I've watched them raise two broods. :p

This morning I saw them flirting on the balcony, then they mated. Only Devileggs was on top! I thought I had the wrong pigeons for a minute, but nope, it was them. I've seen them mate before and Devilbacon always was on top, which to me confirmed my guess that he was the male.

I've never heard of "swapping" positions in any bird!

* About the names: they were named after a pair of turtledoves - Bacon and Eggs - who were the original visitors of the balcony. I was afraid this new pair of pigeons would drive them away (they didn't).

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
A pair of pigeons visit my balcony every day, who I call Devilbacon* (the male) and Devileggs (the female). I've watched them raise two broods. :p

This morning I saw them flirting on the balcony, then they mated. Only Devileggs was on top! I thought I had the wrong pigeons for a minute, but nope, it was them. I've seen them mate before and Devilbacon always was on top, which to me confirmed my guess that he was the male.

I've never heard of "swapping" positions in any bird!

* About the names: they were named after a pair of turtledoves - Bacon and Eggs - who were the original visitors of the balcony. I was afraid this new pair of pigeons would drive them away (they didn't).
it happens sometime

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you two implying that pigeons have both male and female sex organs? The only time i ever saw my female pigeon on top of the male was after she accidentally landed on him.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
* Are you two implying that pigeons have both male and female sex organs? The only time i ever saw my female pigeon on top of the male was after she accidentally landed on him.
* No, they sometimes just switch positions.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I think the science guys haven't done much research on these aspects with pigeons. Is there other references of switching mating positions in other bird species or is it common in birds ? I haven't seen this with sparrows or budgerigars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The female couldn't possibly be going through the same motions that a male pigeon does when he is on top. Female pigeons will sometimes end up on top of a male pigeon while grooming them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My female has done the exact same shwishy shwishy butt rubbing motions as my male has. Although she is not dominant enough to mount him, she has done it to the bed while she was making out with my balled up hand.

Just a matter of testosterone levels I think

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll have to see it to believe it. Female pigeons have nothing to penetrate the males with and male pigeons don't lay eggs so their is nothing to fertilize. It may be a testosterone imbalance as gingerpoo wrote.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We saw it happen once or twice early on with our original pair of balcony pigeons, Big Pidgee and Little Pidee. Confused the heck out of us. Then they settled into the routine of Big Pidgee on top.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I'll have to see it to believe it. Female pigeons have nothing to penetrate the males with and male pigeons don't lay eggs so their is nothing to fertilize. It may be a testosterone imbalance as gingerpoo wrote.
:) That would be something about which I would like to kindly disagree :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
This discussion is totally unreal to me. Female pigeons can't do what everyone claims that they think they saw. Me and my girlfriend have been observing feral pigeons for well over ten years independently (Rehabbing for 4 years) and never observed female pigeons simulating male sex with a male pigeon. It's impossible!!! I've seen most of the odd videos on youtube about MALE animals humping anything. Their are no videos of female animals of any kind pretending that they are males !!! Female pigeons can't simulate male sex unless they have a male sex organ !!! None of you people on here have any common sense!!! You pigeon talk people can't tell the difference between a male and a female pigeon!!!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Female pigeons don't have a penis !!! surprise !!! check between your own legs you ignorant idiots!!!
Female pigeons don't have a penis, agreed, but what makes you think that a male pigeon has a penis ?

"An external phallus is called a penis" - Have you ever seen a penis in the male pigeon ? Also do not confuse testes with penis

Reproduction in birds (including pigeons):

"In the males of species without a phallus, sperm is stored in the semenal glomera within the cloacal protuberance prior to copulation. During copulation, the female moves her tail to the side and the male either mounts the female from behind or in front (in the stitchbird), or moves very close to her. The cloacae then touch, so that the sperm can enter the female's reproductive tract. This can happen very fast, sometimes in less than half a second"

"In zoological anatomy, a cloaca is the posterior opening that serves as the only such opening for the intestinal, reproductive, and urinary tracts of certain animal species. All birds, reptiles, and amphibians possess this orifice, from which they excrete both urine and feces, unlike placental mammals, which possess two separate orifices for evacuation."

"Birds reproduce with this organ; this is known as a cloacal kiss. Birds that mate using this method touch their cloacae for only a few seconds, sufficient time for sperm to be transferred from the male to the female."

Its a separate discussion on whether a sperm transfer happens during a cloacal kiss irrespective of whether male or female is on top. The part is in the contact of cloaca and not any insertion as in humans and other animal species

I would like to hear what other members have to comment on these extracts.

Come on guys, how does your lovely pigeon pals reproduce ???

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Budd,
You do realize that some of us here were only joking, though I do believe that a female was seen on a male.

I also believe what Shreeshs is saying, which is about the most intelligent thing I've read in this post. I have a feeling he's right.

I never saw a penis on a pigeon so maybe this cloacal kiss theory is correct.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts