Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one,

now this is just a general question, after we cleaned the balcony, the couple went down to some other balcony and started making a nest nest, i dont blame them if u know what i mean.

now the question is since we know which is the female, and which is the male, we were surprised to see the female carrying twigs, and straws for the new nest.

so, do female pigeons do that? since they were in my friends balcony, it was the male who brought all the twigs, and she just accepts them from him, or not.

we are just intrigued now.

thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
As Renee says and you saw, usually the males. But, with a lot of our pairs, if they are preparing for laying another round then I see both of them coming out when we throw down a load of tobacco stalks and gathering all they can.

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh, so the poor thing must be in a hurry to lay her eggs, so they are both bringing twigs.

we do feel bad about destroying their nest, but it really was bad.

i wish them all them best.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Wow folks, I have different experience! Both carry twigs, but my females do most of the work! Here is my logical explanation: I release my birds in the afternoon so the cocks are on the nest. The hens then are outside so they find and carry those twigs. Then the cocks go outside and help, too, which encourage the hens to go back to the nest. But the cock doesn't spend too much time looking for twigs to carry back home. The cocks seems strutting more with other hens than helping build the nest. My cocks may be lazy though and my hens are awesome!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hhmmmm, ur hens are good mothers, i do see males, dancing, and mating with more than one hen in the park, so i guess they do waste time.

i also guess, it is a natural thing if they both carry twigs, maybe this is how she lets him now she is ready to nest, u know, like hey man, here is a hint.

:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello everybody,

i just want to share this with u and get ur opinion on it, i was walking in the park yesterday, and i saw a small female walking, and a male following her and beating her all the way, he was also pulling at her feathers, and she just kept walking, and looking for food, they did that for 5 mnts, then, she stopped, and he got more aggressive, so she gave up and allowed him to mate with her, i thought this is the end of the abuse, but then he went on with beating and feather pulling, and she started walking again, i was going to the super market, but i stopped to watch them for 15 mnts, and i felt sorry for her.
my question is why is he doing that? most males r nice and why did not she fly away from him? she did seem a young female to me.
of course i did not interfere, but i am curious about the whole behavior.
thank you for ur time, and info.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
hello everybody,

i just want to share this with u and get ur opinion on it, i was walking in the park yesterday, and i saw a small female walking, and a male following her and beating her all the way, he was also pulling at her feathers, and she just kept walking, and looking for food, they did that for 5 mnts, then, she stopped, and he got more aggressive, so she gave up and allowed him to mate with her, i thought this is the end of the abuse, but then he went on with beating and feather pulling, and she started walking again, i was going to the super market, but i stopped to watch them for 15 mnts, and i felt sorry for her.
my question is why is he doing that? most males r nice and why did not she fly away from him? she did seem a young female to me.
of course i did not interfere, but i am curious about the whole behavior.
thank you for ur time, and info.
The bird he was following is his mate. If it wasn't, she would have flown away and not put up with the "abuse"......my birds do the same thing and although is seems "cruel" to us, that's just the way pigeons are. I expect they have a nest somewhere and she's getting ready to lay and he knows it and wants her IN the nest so that no other males can get to her. They'll be just fine. It goes on all the time.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Sweedu,

That is normal pigeon behavior. The male is driving the hen to go back to the nest. I think nature intended that so that the female pigeon will lay the eggs on the nest and not anywhere else. It is like reassurance I think. It is like the male is saying "stay here in the nest", but the female says,"nope. I am going shopping." (I apologize beforehand if I offended any.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh, so this is what it was about, hee heee heeee, now it makes sense to me, cos he did seem to be rushing her, and when a male comes near them he pushes her more.

thank you very much for the info, i do love to understand pigeons more.
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.