Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys this is my third bird that i last in the past 3 months or so i had this pair of rollers and they are sitting on eggs and today i flew my tipplers and she never use to fly b4 cuz of egg but today she took off with them so she flew for about an hour with tipplers on top of my house and then she landed on some1 elses roof so i thought she would return but then i dont know where she went from there do u think she will come back?? it was a 07 female dat i bought 2 months ago now male is sitting on the eggs over night.... i dont know why i keep losing birds like that 2 months ago my baby homer pair flew away and now this im so mad at my self now.... my parents make fun of me that i keep buying them and losing them... help me out here guys im new at keepin pigeons thanks

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I hope she will. Never...ever...let birds out that are incubating eggs or caring for babies.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
You have to study how to resettle birds and not fly different breeds together. You don't just let them fly and expect them to come back. Depending on your location or how your loft is situated is another matter as well. Rollers and tipplers have poor homing ability so make sure they can see your loft easily. Can you describe your settling technique? If your birds are getting lost I highly recommend the following. Put your birds in a settling cage and put them on the loft roof for 1 or 2 hours everyday to see their surroundings. Put those birds as well in your house roof (don't fall and die--took me 3 weeks to recover falling from that height) for 1 hour. Once they started relaxing in those cages (they start preening themselves), then you can bring them down. Do that for one week. Those birds should not get lost unless they are too dumb.

So your plan: 1. Put your birds in settling cage on the landing board for 1-2 hours for one week.
2. Put your birds in settling cage on the loft roof for 1-2 hours for another week.
3. Put your birds in settling cage on the house roof for 1-2 hours for another week.
4. Then you can release assuming you taught your birds food call and trapping first.

These birds should not get lost by then. I know that is a drastic way of resettling, but I feel bad for you. At my loft I take short cut though. I put my new birds in a settling cage on a landing board for 1 hour. Then I put them on my loft roof for another hour. I then put them inside the loft. The next day I do the same. Then I put them on the house roof for 1 hour. Repeat on the third day. In 3 weeks time while they are inside my loft they have free access to my sputniks trap. They can go in and out inside the trap.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Sorry to hear that you've lost a lot of your birds. You might want to start doing a little reading on your types of birds before you continue on. How long have you had your birds? I hope your hen returns to you for the sake of the eggs and I agree 100% with Charis...."Never...ever...let birds out that are incubating eggs or caring for babies".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had all these pigeons for about 4 months now. I fly my tipplers everyday and they have no problem coming back. There is no hawk in my area in the evening time these days so i dont think they have anything to be scared of

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i had all these pigeons for about 4 months now. I fly my tipplers everyday and they have no problem coming back. There is no hawk in my area in the evening time these days so i dont think they have anything to be scared of
They may not have a problem coming back on a regular basis, but if something were to happen to a bird on eggs/babies the young ones suffer. so no lettie outie of the breeders:) you have learned a good thing here. It is great that you are conscientious enough to ask and learn.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
tipplers usually don't go far away from the loft so they will not get lost unless some strong wing carries them far, but tossingtipplers.com showed that they can go home, too. Spooked out breeders which are not familiar with your place can get lost because they can fly far. If you are losing birds constantly there is something wrong with your training (resettling phase). Usually breeders have even more motivations to come back, but if they are not familiar with their loft, they wont know where to go back from. In the wild, obviously, parents go out to get some food for their children. At our loft we only want to keep them inside because we are paranoid that a predator will get them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.