Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread for more help for this feral I picked up. She has no interest in food or water but is alert. Droppings are dark green and only about 2/day even though I am feeding her. I started medicating with Trimethorprim/Sulfa. The bird has been wormed and also received garlic.

Can anyone help diagnose this bird. Seems to have stiff legs and if stood up just falls forward with no attempt to open wings. If left alone she will lay on he side just looking around.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the legs are extended, the only reason I have not fed this bird more is because she has not digested what I have given her.

She did drink on her own yesterday though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If she has a static crop or delayed emptying, I would put her on Reglan (.5mg/kg). Crop massages could help also. I think continued abx are a good idea.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, it has some kind of a neurological component. An awful lot of white droppings isn't a good sign as it often means that the bird's virtually digesting itself. Sometimes when they start down that path, it's already over. But there's almost always hope with pigeons.

Pidgey

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Well, it has some kind of a neurological component. An awful lot of white droppings isn't a good sign as it often means that the bird's virtually digesting itself. Sometimes when they start down that path, it's already over. But there's almost always hope with pigeons.

Pidgey
I thought bright green droppings are an indication of that, Pidgey.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Depends on the bright green really... bright forest green in a little dab typically signifies the lack of solids out the back end while bright bluegreen urates (biliverdinuria) can mean pronounced kidney or liver disease. I was specifically referring to this post:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpost.php?p=378734&postcount=26

Can't tell without a picture exactly what was meant by the wording, of course, but sometimes a very emaciated individual will start pumping out some relatively voluminous cream-white droppings that are a very bad sign. Such cases are often marked by a total inability to move water, formula or solids through the GI.

Pidgey

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes the legs are extended, the only reason I have not fed this bird more is because she has not digested what I have given her.

She did drink on her own yesterday though.
I suppose the legs are not permanently like that, aren't they? Can it be that the bird is suffering of partial convulsions, perhaps due to a disease in the brain, head trauma, low blood sugar, low blood calcium, other metabolic problems, toxins or an inherited predisposition? In particular viral or metabolic disease can also cause acute / chronic renal failure, as somebody has mentioned first "green only" and later white droppings?

rook

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The droppings are a dark green and the white is pretty white...

The solids seem to have moved to the very bottom of the crop but I can still feel them. The crop seems to be passing liquids ok.

When I got home today I took her out of her wrap and let her set on her rump. She started preening her feathers and massaging her crop around.

The legs are flexible but she holds them out straight.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Glad to hear that there's some color in those poops! Now, take & post a picture!

I had a bird way back in 2001 that partially did what you're describing--it was only one leg. The trimethoprim/sulfa combo might get it but you should be ready to shift to Baytril for your next trick after a week or two of the other. See if you can get some tablets or some from a vet.

Pidgey

·
Registered
670 Posts
Are there any more peanuts in there? Our vet once told me he's had to milk peanuts out of many crops. I asked him if it was true that they don't digest whole peanuts, and he said he thinking think they could. (I've heard some people say they don't digest roasted peanuts but do OK with raw.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts