13,048 Posts
Absolutely they can.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are "Commie Races" in some parts of the world where people who can't afford racing pigeons use regular ferals ("common" pigeons) for their races. I can't give you more information than that (distance, time, etc), but I know it's done. Have they been bred for generations to hone the superior homing ability that the racing homer has? No. But they can be taught to home. To what ability and what distance I am sure could be heavily debated and questioned - but that was not the question. Just, "can they". And yes. They can.

I have one feral who homes back to my loft, but the farthest he's gone is a few blocks away, fully out of sight of the loft. And he goes right home every time.

:)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I mentioned it before, but a friend of mine had a a feral pigeon that he caught under a bridge as a young squab.
It kept mating with a hen, he wanted to breed to another cock, so he released it over and over and it kept coming back.
He had a truck driver he knows release it twice on the Mexican/Texas border and both times it flew back to Dayton, Ohio.
He ended up keeping it.
A lot of feral pigeons have a lot of homer blood and a lot of flocks of ferals locally have banded homers living with them.
There used to be one flock that had obvious modena blood. I doubt they homed as well.
Keith

·
Registered
508 Posts
Cool information!:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
lets just say you can never be sure whats in the ferals like say two racers paired up that got lost under a brige and nested there there babys would be called (FERAL) its silly no one can call a pigeon a true feral if they do not know its parents there mum and dad and there grandad etc

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Just keep in mind, that the question is not best answered by members that don't have lots of personal experience with Feral Pigeons. Personal experience is the only way to answer the question realistically. Of couse the keepers of Homing Pigeons and others of pedigree will tell you that Ferals can't home or can't home well.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
lets just say you can never be sure whats in the ferals like say two racers paired up that got lost under a brige and nested there there babys would be called (FERAL) its silly no one can call a pigeon a true feral if they do not know its parents there mum and dad and there grandad etc
Well, if Dad AND Mom got lost......don't think Junior stands much of a chance......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
i look after a flock of beautiful ferals and a roller and several lost/unclaimed racers,,they all pretty much know the ropes reg homing,they dont tend to fly too far from the roof or the gardens,but they are creatures of habit,and go on regular"fly time"daily(can almost set my clocks by them)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Well, if Dad AND Mom got lost......don't think Junior stands much of a chance......:rolleyes:
ROFL!!!:D

I know a pigeon person where I used to live, she took her pet rehabbed feral to a classroom in my town (28 miles difference). The pigeon accidentally got out of the cage and was scared away, and the next day was sitting on the porch of her house. This was an indoor pigeon too. I don't know how in the world they do it???:eek:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Can feral pigeons be taught to home to a loft?
Here we go again every time this subject comes up we have the pro and con so I ask lets not get into flght over this question. GEORGE
We have the 'pro and con' on every subject, George. Why should this one not be discussed? :confused:

With reply to your question, Matt, I don't have a loft, nor would I intentionally encourage a flock of ferals to 'home' to a loft. With that said, I do a feral flock that homes to my house every morning and evening to get a bit to eat. :p

I have no idea where they reside or where they go during the day, but I do know that they can sure find their way to my house at meal time.

Cindy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another definition of Feral

I saw the interest generated about feral pigeons and whether they can home or not.

One of the definitions of feral is: having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.

I really beleive that there maybe a few homing pigeons floating around in the wild mating with the "feral" pigeons and actually upgrading their homing abilities through their young. I know we all have seen red check, grizzles and even solid black feral pigeons. If truly the wild variety I would also think they would stay predominately the grey or blue bar/blue check colors as we call them.

Just a thought.

The Dixiebuckeye

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I saw the interest generated about feral pigeons and whether they can home or not.

One of the definitions of feral is: having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.

I really beleive that there maybe a few homing pigeons floating around in the wild mating with the "feral" pigeons and actually upgrading their homing abilities through their young. I know we all have seen red check, grizzles and even solid black feral pigeons. If truly the wild variety I would also think they would stay predominately the grey or blue bar/blue check colors as we call them.

Just a thought.

The Dixiebuckeye
I absolutely agree...I've seen many banded birds roaming around with ferals.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Ferals can home, but with limited distance unless you actually have a real homer that ended with the ferals, then you can teach it like a real homer does. So ferals can be define as the original rock pigeon, escaped/lost homers, crossbred between the originals and homers or other birds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.