Pigeon-Talk banner

"Feral" or "Homing" Pigeon?

835 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Hambone 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Bought a pair of pigeons from a guy and went home had second thought about the pigeons. Next day thinking it could be feral pigeons this guy tried to get rid of, I released it 22 miles from a park with lots of feral or street pigeons. This one came back the next day. Could you please identify this pigeon. Thank you all.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Look like they could be homers, it's not always easy to tell for sure. I am amazed one came back after only being with you one day with you. Were they flown before?

#4 ·
Well, that one at least comes back. I would go ahead and trap train it to your loft. It seems like since it came back once after only one day, it would again. Usually it takes weeks to train a new pigeon to recognize your home, or at least that's what's recommended. Cool bird. :cool:

#5 ·
It looks homer to me. Does it have feather legs though? If so there must have been some cross with those birds before in its history. Did you say you release it the next day you got it and it returned the next day? If so you probably got a good one. It is a keeper to me because of that.

#6 ·
Even if they are ferals, if they were raised in captivity, they wouldn't know how to fend for themselves in the wild. Feral street Pigeons have hard enough time finding food.
I sure hope the other knows how to get back to the fellow you bought them from.

#7 · (Edited)
No kidding ! Agree with the other posters , I'd be very happy with this guy and get him in a loft , settled in so he knows where home is now , and trap trained . He sounds like a good purchase ... you never know Vinnie , the other one might show up tomorrow or the next day too . Unless you paid a lot for the pair it sounds like you got your monies worth with this one already .

Hard to tell but probably is the real deal homer. :confused: Heavier body and it looks like there is a fleshy cere around his eye . Thats what I look for .... and that doesnt really guaranty it either .... except you see most homers seem to have those traits .

Nice looking bird ! Good luck and hope the other one finds its way home to you . ( maybe he went back there to the other guys place , can you call and verify ? )

hambone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.