Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:i have raised several feral pidgeons,. and live out in the farm land of ark. so i thought i would build a nice loft for my birds, and turn them loose,and just let them come and go as they please. and for a while every thing was going well,until one day i noticed a couple of new kids on the block, so to speak! a couple of bulls , and i thought Great! new blood in my kit, (wrong). they seem to have broken up my mated pairs and run my males off,and have even lost some young in the nests. is this tipical? and what should i do now?catch my birds up and lock out the renigades, and reastablish my kit? as you can tell i am probably not to smart when it comes to raising my birds, but i am learning the hard way i guess! can someone give me some corrective critisism? and good advice would be nice. Thanks

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
...a couple of bulls...do you mean cock birds?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
This doesn't sound typical to me. Have the hen's already chosen the new males?
Maybe you need to get 2 more hens to balance things out and then everyone will be happy.
Are the 2 that were booted out still around?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the hens haven't chosen the cocks ,and there mates are gone, weather they have taken up residents somewhere else or not i do not know, and had a pair on eggs and they just left the nest and left, and it appears that they are working what ever hens they can,when they can.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Did this happen the first time you let them out? Had these other birds been hanging around?
How did you come by ferals? I think that's very cool that you have made a place for them.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Lock them out! Don't allow those bully birds inside and feed your birds inside. That way those bullies will not stay (I hope). Those bullies are trying to claim the territory for them so they are trying to oust those males. It can happen in homing pigeons as well. I've heard of Van Reet homers do that as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had a nice little kit going on until the bullies came along. all my birds came from the same pair, and they had a pretty good family thing going on. the oldest bird being just over a year old. a friend brought the birds to me, and i thought it would be kinda kool to have some birds flying loose. i have white homers and blue bars but i don't dare turn them loose! unless i am fliing them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts