Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning we saw something on the ground and it was a pigeon, it's wings spread on the floor.

As we got closer, it tried to get away and he shuffled away, before he flew up and tried to land on a gutter, but his feet didn't grab on and fell to the ground.

I threw my coat over it and examined it. It's a feral pigeon, has no injuries that I can see, but his legs / toes seem paralyzed. When I move I can feel strength in the thigh, but no grabbing action. He can also fly.

I took him home off course and he's now suspended in a chihuahua harness.

But what can this be? And is this poor guy doomed or can I do something for him?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
This morning we saw something on the ground and it was a pigeon, it's wings spread on the floor.

As we got closer, it tried to get away and he shuffled away, before he flew up and tried to land on a gutter, but his feet didn't grab on and fell to the ground.

I threw my coat over it and examined it. It's a feral pigeon, has no injuries that I can see, but his legs / toes seem paralyzed. When I move I can feel strength in the thigh, but no grabbing action. He can also fly.

I took him home off course and he's now suspended in a chihuahua harness.

But what can this be? And is this poor guy doomed or can I do something for him?
Thank you for caring about this little girl (?)
First, I would confine her to a cage with a heating pad (cover with a small towel) - set on LOW. Give her a small bowl of water (room temp to luke warm) with a dash of salt and sugar in it (rehydrating solution). And if you have any bird seed (wild seed is ok for now) to see if she's interested in eating. Rehydrating solution is most important.
Can you post pictures of her? and poops?
My first guess would be 'egg paralysis' or trauma. Which are treatable with time, rest and heat.
Other members will be along also to help.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It may be Clostridium botulinum, which is caused by injesting a toxin produced by the bacteria. It can make birds very sick and the pigeons and ducks that have come to me have been unable to walk. The good news is that if it is Clostridium, a course of baytril most likely will clear it up. The only way to know though, is to have a veterinarian evaluate the pigeon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts