Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so today I found a pigeon with some kind of brown sticky stuff all over him and i gues it was heavy on his feathers so he could barley fly. i was able to catch him and bring him home. i tried to give him a bath but it wont come out. I dont know what it is mabey some kind of oil or syrup but i bought some dawn soap after hearing about it bieng used to wash oil out of birds at the oil spill in the gulf of Mexico so i bought some but i wanted to hear from someone more experianced than me before i try anything. right now Noah is keeping him company and he seems to be pretty healthy other than the fact that he is covered in some brown stuff, so i would like to realease him once he is all clean.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Dawn, original formula, is the best thing to use. It probably won't come off with one bath. It may take many over the course of many days. Because the feathers are in the condition they are, the pigeon will not be able to keep warm and will need to be kept inside with a heating pad set on the low setting.

Several years ago, I had a conversation with another rehabber about what she uses on a bird in the condition as your rescue. She told me she puts peanut butter on the grease and then washes that off with Dawn. I haven't had need to try it since she shared that with me but I don't think it would hurt to try.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so today I found a pigeon with some kind of brown sticky stuff all over him and i gues it was heavy on his feathers so he could barley fly. i was able to catch him and bring him home. i tried to give him a bath but it wont come out. I dont know what it is mabey some kind of oil or syrup but i bought some dawn soap after hearing about it bieng used to wash oil out of birds at the oil spill in the gulf of Mexico so i bought some but i wanted to hear from someone more experianced than me before i try anything. right now Noah is keeping him company and he seems to be pretty healthy other than the fact that he is covered in some brown stuff, so i would like to realease him once he is all clean.
I would keep the pigeon untill he has molted out and can fly again..it may take awhile. bathing over and over again can be stressful ..esp for a feral hatch bird. I would just wait and then he will be well fed for months before being on the street again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so yesterday i bathed him with dawn and warm water and it was difficult but i got most of the oil out i believe it was motor oil or bycicle grease god only knows how it got all over his feathers but after the bath i put him in a room gave him some food and water and put him under an infared low power heat lamp and in the morning he was actualy flying (trying to get Away from me because the past day and a half have been very stressfull and scary for him) but i gave him another because he still had little patches of oil on his feathers. right now hes drying off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.