Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and Happy New Year!

On December 20 I noticed an apathic feral pigeon on my window sill with a wound on the left side of his head. After capture, a vet recommended Avianprotect Ten (Tylosin, Erythromycin, Neomycin, and vitamins) and Oculoforte (Gentamicin, Dexamethasone).

Recommended dosage for Avianprotect is 1 tablet/kg or 1/4 for small chickens. I estimated his weight at 200 grams and decided to administer 1/4 of a tablet daily. I started this treatment immediately.

For the first 4 days he was eating on his own, a mix of raw shelled sunflower seeds and wheat, drinking a lot, with clear watery droppings with a green dot in the middle. There was a bad smelling, yellow-white, sticky discharge from his head wound, with a crust on his eye, and swelling below.

After this period he lost his appetite and on day 6 I decided to use a thin, flexible crop tube to feed him grounded wheat mixed with lukewarm water and vitamins

On day 8, a week after capture and start of treatment, with no improvement and after researching Gentamicin which according to Wikipedia is ineffective against chlamydia (my suspicion), I switched him on doxycycline ~2mg daily

The discharge appears to have stopped or diminished and does not smell anymore. The crust and the swelling are still there, the droppings are like egg white with some green in the middle and sometimes just like water.

I also tried to feed him moistened grounded unsalted roasted peanuts and plain biscuits (flour and a bit of sugar and salt) with the same crop tube and add a few drops of apple vinegar in his drinking water. Unfortunately three days ago he started vomiting (he might have done it before without me noticing). He has lost weight in the last week, I think about half of what was at the time of capture and I don’t know what to do to keep feeding him and stop the weight loss.

I'm considering stopping the treatment because I’m afraid that maybe these antibiotics damaged his gastrointestinal tract.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Have you checked inside his mouth for any yellow growths towards the back? He might have canker and this will cause him to eat less and drink more water and therefor produces watery droppings. This can be treated with metronidazole.

Can you get hold of a handrearing formula for parakeets and parrots? If you can do cropfeeding, this will be best to feed to him until you can figure out what is wrong. If you can't get this, try a babycereal that contains no milkproducts or sugar. Or you can buy a bag of frozen peas, defrost them and either mash them to cropfeed or feed them whole to him.

I'm not familiar with the meds that you have used so can't give advice.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Marina is right in that canker could be involved. Can't always see it in the throat. Can you weigh the bird? Metronidazole for canker would be 30 mg once daily for squabs and 50 mg once daily for adults. So if he is very light, he may need a little bit less than the 50. Also, the dose for Doxy is from 10 to 50 mg daily depending on weight. 2 mg isn't enough. You can also bathe the eyes with a warm saline solution. To make that you can boil a quart of water and add 1 Tablespoon of salt to it. Let it cool to just warm, and use it to bathe the eyes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies.

I took two pictures of the oral cavity (not the throat) but I don't see any yellow growth exept an irritation on the right (his left) where the wound is. That yellow substance is now on the other side of de mouth (next to the right eye). I don't feel any lump in his throat either and he's breathing without difficulty.

He does not fly (only down from my hand) and is tame or sedated (it was very easy to catch him just sitting there), but when I open my hands and let him go he runs away to a dark corner.

I calculated the dosage for doxycycline from this site 100mg/10kg is equivalent to 10mg/kg and 1mg/100 grams

On this site the dosage varies from species to species but at this point I'm not sure if he needs doxy at all

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That site is for cats and dogs. For pigeons it is anywhere from 10 to 50 mg daily, depending on weight Could be Chlamydia, in which case Doxy is what you want to use. Doesn't hurt to treat for both. One in the morning, and one at night. All sources of calcium must be removed with Doxy, as it will bind to the drug and make it much less efficient. With Doxy, even if you have hard water, you should use distilled while he is on the med.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

He's doing better now, eating on its own again, drinking less water. flying down to eat and up to his perch. He does not see with his left eye and I wonder if he will regain vision there.

Last medication was a tablet containing metronidazole, oxytetracycline, furazolidone, and bismuth. I don't know if he's better now because or despite of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you are treating for canker, he needs something that is just for canker. Not a combo tablet. Metronidazole, he should be getting 50 mg once daily for 7 to 10 days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts