Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I've just joined the forum today as I noticed a pigeon sitting in my garden this morning. I put seed out daily and when I went out this morning it didnt seem able to fly and instead was running along the garden. I filled up a ground feeder and it started to eat but kept throwing its head backwards and in circles. I've now been out for about 4 hours and come home and its sitting at the bottom of the garden. It was startled by my dog and tried to fly up but seemed to do a backflip and crash land. Threw some seed on the ground for it to eat but when I'm watching it now, it seems to be trying to pick up the seed but missing the seed. Had a look online and suggests these might be symptoms of PMV? Not sure what to do with it and I read PMV is contagious to other birds? Should I phone the SSPCA or leave it overnight in case its ok? Concerned a cat gets it.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, usually they can get over it with time. We would virtually never suggest the RSPCA (or whatever) due to the extreme likelihood they'd just put the bird to sleep. Therefore, is there any way that you can put the bird in a box or cage with food and water while we figure out what else to do?

Pidgey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've been watching it for a few hours, chased 3 cats away, was preparing a box and towels and just about to go out and get it when it flew onto next doors roof. I'll keep an eye out in the morning in case it comes back in the garden with the other pigeons and see how it is. Wouldnt like to have the SSPCA pick it up and just put it down so if I can catch it over the next few days I'll do my best.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If its PMV there is a fair chance the other birds will catch it.
Then you will have a heap of pigeons,with the Virus,
We have our first cases of PMV1 here in Victoria Australia
& many birds have died,as there is no Vaccine for it in Australia.
So the hole state is locked down, No flying,Showing,Selling or moving
Pigeons in the state.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello please try to catch the pigeon as soon as you can. Try giving peanuts or grain ,standing behind the pigeon if you can.If you throw a heavy coat over the pigeon or use a butterfly net. Dont grab flight or tail feathers as pigeon will drop them and then will be more vulnerable than ever.

The pigeon will need a deep dish with seed such as canary seed, wheat, corn, wild bird food etc.

The pigeon has to be isolated for six weeks from the day you bring it indoors.

A dog crate or something big enough for the pigeon to beable to flap it's wings is a must.

Best of luck Jayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts