Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a pigeon today at Earls Court station London, with black thread tied around both legs, like shackles and I have felt upset since seeing it, as I was on route to work there was nothing I could do. I couldn't try and catch it. It was peak time and crowds all over the platform.

Does anyone know if there is anyone I can contact to report this pigeon? I assume it will live in/near the station and will return. I will be looking out for it - any advice welcome, or is there simply not a lot I can do in such a busy area?

It breaks my heart seeing such things.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Unfortunately this situation is very common in pigeons, once you start looking at them you will notice toes and even feet missing.:( If it is caught soon enough, loss of toes and feet can be avoided.

Usually they hang around the same spot, if it is possible to go back to the station, maybe when it is not so busy, take some bird seed or raw peanuts and throw them over the shackled pigeon. This should cause other pigeons to land on top of it and you can catch it by putting your hand over it gently but firmly so the wings are held down. Then cut the string tying the two legs together and try to remove as much as possible of the string that will be tangled around the feet.

This web page gives information on how to remove thread, it is really aimed at people who can take the pigeon home and spend time removing the thread, but the same principle applies if you have to do an on the spot foot repair (One day I sat in a shopping centre and grabbed 4 pigeons that had thread round their feet in a row, they were all easy jobs and could be released immediately.)

http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/string_damage.html

You could also alert Save the Trafalgar Square Pigeons , maybe one of them will have a look and I will also contact some of our London members, maybe someone lives close enough to help.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Naturelover,

Thanks for you concern and wanting to help this poor fellow out. Here are some links below, that shows clips of what Feefo describes, and may be of use in trying to catch this bird.

I posted these links a few times before and I will give the disclaimer that I mentioned before, I am not sure I am crazy about them sort of hassling the birds, but it seems they mean no real harm and in the end these clips may help someone learn how to catch a hurt bird.

The key is to get the bird you are after sort of locked in the middle of a feeding frenzy, as Feefo mentions, and making a quick grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7lr5aoxB8&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idqw-rI9B2s&NR=1

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for wanting to help this poor bird. Many pet shops sell inexpensive nets just large enough to net a pigeon, and easily carried in your bag. This would help a lot if you see him again. You can even try to catch him by throwing a jacket over him if possible. Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts