Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been here, and hello to everyone! Glad to see this forum still going strong!

My daughter found an injured pigeon last night at the park and brought it home. I thought maybe some of you would be willing to take a look and help me figure out what I'm dealing with. The pigeon was alert and upright. My daughter was probably able to catch it because she has a way with the pigeons (we call her the pigeon charmer).

Gave him a quick look over when she brought him home. No obvious signs of injury, but his right wing was drooping significantly. I put the pigeon in a small carrier to keep him still. No obvious signs of dehydration, no shark keel. Offered water, and he drank. He seemed in good overall condition, so I left him with water and a bowl of popping corn, split peas, oats, and sunflower seeds and left him alone in the carrier in the bathroom to calm down.

After a couple of hours, I gave him a more thorough exam. Under his right wing, I found a reddened area. There was a slight bit of blood, but it was a very small amount. The red area is in his armpit area, where the upper wing meets the body. It does not seem swollen, but is inflamed.

I cleaned the area with soapy water and rinsed with colloidal silver. Applied neosporin, and hemmed and hawed about wrapping the wing. Decided to leave it for the night, as he was feisty and I didn't want to risk further damage.

There is no corresponding wound on the outside of the wing or body, so I don't know how it could be a bite injury. I was wondering if it could be an inflammation of the joint from paratyphoid. The other thing that makes me think this is that he will alternately lift his legs when he's out of the carrier, as if they're sore (possible joint issues?). I see no wounds on the bottom of his feet though.

Oh, and here's a picture of his poop, cause I knew you guys would ask about it. :D

So, thoughts on this? We do have a wildlife rehab center locally, but I was not sure if they deal with pigeons and if they would euthanize if paratyphoid was suspected.

I could be completely wrong about all of this, but I'd love to hear your expert opinions.

I'm not sure if the photos will show, as I'm having trouble getting them to display. If they do not show up in this post, they are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/art_school_grrrl/sets/72157630195769534/

And, THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I actually read that last night and have addressed the issues raised in that thread last night as well. I think he's pretty stable.

Except for the droopy wing, he looks and acts pretty good overall. Eating and drinking well, warm draft free room, and heating pad on low under part of the carrier he's in.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Possibly shot at with an air pistol while flying ?
may have been far enough away to avoid major damage,but still enough to hurt.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do feel both wings, at the same time so you can make a comparison. If the wing isn't broken, at that joint,very likely she will get better and be able to fly again.
She is a very pretty pigeon. She's probably nervous but I think her poop looks fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do feel both wings, at the same time so you can make a comparison. If the wing isn't broken, at that joint,very likely she will get better and be able to fly again.
She is a very pretty pigeon. She's probably nervous but I think her poop looks fine.
OK, I did as instructed. I do not feel any difference in the bones or anatomy between the two wings. I did not feel anything that fely like broken bone, and I have not seen anything that looked like broken bone.

It's just that the right wing is drooping lower than the other wing. The pigeon is still able to use the wing - both to extend it and retract it. Though, the drooping wing is definitely weaker - as if it cannot pull that wing as close to its body as it should be able to.

So, since the only real difference I'm seeing is that the right wing is lower than the left one, could it be a dislocated shoulder? Would the little pidge be able to extend and retract the wing if the shoulder were dislocated?

Or does this sound more like a sprain/strain?

I'm also wondering if I should bandage the wing into proper position at this point. I have the diagram for the figure 8 bandage and can pick up some of the self-adhesive gauze, if that would be beneficial.

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It sounds like a sprain to me. Keep her confined and quiet so she has time to heal. Do you happen to have any metacam?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a sprain to me. Keep her confined and quiet so she has time to heal. Do you happen to have any metacam?
I don't have metacam. I keep Baytril on hand, but I don't have any pain meds. However, I have a neighbor who might. She's an animal person too. I'll go check.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that's a no on the metacam. The only pain med I was able to locate is not an NSAID; it's labeled as Torb-Tinic, and it was formulated as a liquid for cats. I don't even know how many mg/ml of the active ingredient there are in the liquid, so accurate dosing would be difficult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts