Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also brought home a few PMV pigeons (adults) this winter and one youngster with symptoms a week ago. The adults all recovered, the youngster did not make it.
In Belgium I find PMV victims all year round.

Hi I'm new to this board, living in Brussels and have been caring for what I believe is a PMV pigeon since Oct. 5th (and feeling totally alone in this). She (?) had all the symptoms listed for PMV and seems to be recovering nicely. Emergency care was fine, supportive care was fine, now I'm a little lost as to what to do. I'm willing to give her a permanent home, but I live in a small studio...Really small. She makes no attempt to fly, but seems happy (grooming, stretching a wing and a leg, flapping her wings, eating, drinking, looks healthy from a visual inspection...) I'm hoping to get some advice, if at all possible...Thanks!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi I'm new to this board, living in Brussels and have been caring for what I believe is a PMV pigeon since Oct. 5th (and feeling totally alone in this). She (?) had all the symptoms listed for PMV and seems to be recovering nicely. Emergency care was fine, supportive care was fine, now I'm a little lost as to what to do. I'm willing to give her a permanent home, but I live in a small studio...Really small. She makes no attempt to fly, but seems happy (grooming, stretching a wing and a leg, flapping her wings, eating, drinking, looks healthy from a visual inspection...) I'm hoping to get some advice, if at all possible...Thanks!
You've come to the right place :)
If you browse around in the different forums there is a wealth of information on anything you need to know.
Thank you for rescuing her and they DO make excellent pets. Pigeons are very people oriented. If you have a large cage and time to come out a bit to stretch her wings and socialize with you, food and water, they are very happy.
But I suggest you start a new thread so more people will see it (the thread you posted in is almost 2 years old)

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Posted originally on the end of an old thread where they may get lost.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Birds recovered from PMV often do not fly or when attempting, fly backwards and crash land. This is due to brain inflammation caused by PMV virus and impact on their sense of balance.
In every other aspect they are normal and can lead long happy life. Best option is to provide nice big enough for their size cage and keep them in the safe environment. Perches in the cage should be positioned low or alternatively one can use brick instead.
These birds make wonderful pets, as they tame faster then birds that can fly.
In the periods of stress some symptoms of PMV may reappear, usually watery droppings and walking in the circle or stargazing.
To release such bird is as death sentence as for her is impossible to compete for food or fend from danger (if flightless, even more). If kept together with healthy birds, often they will bully her and stress most of the time. Only exception I noticed is when mated to healthy bird, this has positive and calming effect.
PMV birds are fully capable to lay eggs and raise babies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sophie and I met in Belgium, and so did our pigeons Chance (Sophies avatar) and my PMV pet pigeon Wi, who was soooo very lonely...
The result is Wi found the love of his life!!!
I found Wi in town as a baby, so sick with PMV that I barely could feed him because of the torticoli... Sophie found Chance in a Brussel's metrostation, condemned to die from hunger...
Wi and Chance will soon be living under the Spanish sun with me...
God's ways are inscrutable;)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Very sweet .

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Another great story. How wonderful those two met and will live happily ever after.
Thanks for letting us know, Myriam. They are both adorable.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Just as Reti said....absolutely adorable! thanks for the update, and the pic.... Myriam.
..and God's ways ARE inscrutable! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts