Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have two families of feral pigeons that have been roosting on my balcony in a closet. I check on them regularly and feed them/give them new water every day. One of the families had 2 babies recently (in the future I plan on putting fake eggs down so they won't have more babies), and early on, I think one of the babies was attacked by another grown male pigeon since his beak was cut. I had cleaned him off and set him back in the nest with the other one, and have checked on them since then (that happened over a week ago) and they have both been fine. But I just got home and went to check on them, and found one of the babies dead, curled up opposite of the nest with twisted neck (really upsetting). On top of this, I pulled out the other to look, and her neck is twisted in a horrible way, but she seems fine otherwise. I looked it up and determined that it could be PMV (or maybe Salmonella? unless anyone has other suggestions).

I have 3 other birds and so the dilemma is that I want to help this pigeon, but I am afraid my other birds could become infected. What is the chance this can happen? Is there a reliable way to quarantine? What are the chances of this bird not surviving? I saw PMV can last for 6 weeks? I want this poor baby to live.

Thanks

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How old is the baby? Can you post a picture of him?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi yes- here are 3 pictures of him. He is between 2-3 weeks and has most of his feathers. I ended up deciding to house him in the 2nd bathroom and not let anyone/anything in there except me. I hand-fed him defrosted/warm corn and he seemed to appreciate it, and gave him a quick bath/dried him off. I placed him in a plastic box covered with paper towel and with 2 hot water bottles on either side. Please let me know if you guys have any advice for caring for him in addition to what I am already doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Skyeking,
I read up a lot about both Paratyphoid and PMV and think it is hopefully PMV because his eyes twitch a bit. Is there anything to determine from the poop picture posted?

thanks

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Those droppings in the second pic look to be fairly typical of PMV. Broken 'worms' of poop in liquid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give an update: after 4 days of quarantine and hand-feeding Friendly (official name) started to show huge signs of recovery. I am happy to say she is totally back to normal- no twisted neck/regular poop! Thanks for the help guys!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts