Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any suggestions on a fertility problem. I have a 2008 hen, I've owned her for a little over a year now. Last year she didn't lay any eggs, eventhough she stayed paired with her mate from the previous owner. This breeding season, I paired her to a different cock. The first rd left me with 2 clear eggs, the second rd has now been the same end result. I know she was fertile when I purchased her, (included in the deal was 2 of her young). As far as the cock, he is an 2009 that up until pairing with this hen filled his eggs and was a good egg setter. I'm hoping for any suggestions that have worked for you personally. This pairing has been on the top of my color breeding goals this year and as usual, things never go as planned. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm looking for any suggestions on a fertility problem. I have a 2008 hen, I've owned her for a little over a year now. Last year she didn't lay any eggs, eventhough she stayed paired with her mate from the previous owner. This breeding season, I paired her to a different cock. The first rd left me with 2 clear eggs, the second rd has now been the same end result. I know she was fertile when I purchased her, (included in the deal was 2 of her young). As far as the cock, he is an 2009 that up until pairing with this hen filled his eggs and was a good egg setter. I'm hoping for any suggestions that have worked for you personally. This pairing has been on the top of my color breeding goals this year and as usual, things never go as planned. Any thoughts?
personally i am in the same boat. lol. thought i should add. its soo fustrating, i want to get a good line of Red bars in. but the eggs are just unfertle everytime. :(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If the hen lays her eggs she has done her part, if they are not fertile he did not do his part. try triming the vent feathers of the cock and hen see if that helps. There are all kinds of elixiers out there too, never used any of those things on my birds so would not know if they are worth the money spent or not. sometimes parting the pair for a few days then put them back together can get things rolling. also If you are the kind of keeper that gives antibioitcs as a prevenative then that could cause some fertility issues perhaps.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have you tried to isolate the pair,(from your other Pigeons) and supply them more room?
Maybe, a large area to themselves, where they will become comfortable with eachother?
Some things you just can't hurry.
I think that the main problem is that one of the pair is still in love with another one of your Pigeons, or, one is still heartbroken, from being seperated.
Pigeons make some very strong bonds with their mates. (they are not machines!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts