Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi sir..actually i worry about my pigeon which is ill . my bird stop eating n losing weight as well. one more thing very obvious is the neck getting banding as time goes by...hopes u can help me on this matter.tq

·
Registered
21 Posts
pleeese help, I have a baby for about 15 days, she has been doing fine but today the bottom of her crop is lumpy is this sour crop or something else what is sour crop and how should i treat her

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is this baby being fed by parents? If so, they are probably feeding her seeds which make the crop feel lumpy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
not being fed by parents we found her in a walgreens parking lot and been feeding her with exact baby food. we have a pet cockatoo that is 5 years old. we had to tube feed her when she was a baby. the pidgeon was about 2 weeks old when we found her, there is no bad oder coming from her and she acts fine. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
She may have canker, unless she is also eating seed. Canker is very treatable and not a big deal unless left untreated.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
How is she acting ? ls she acting sick ? BTW - l think we have 2 different patients here on the same thread - perhaps a moderator should separate the threads ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
She doesn't need more water in her formula. She needs medicine to get rid of the canker. If it goes untreated they can die. I'm sure Jaye can tell you exactly what you need to get for her. You say you found her when she was about 2 weeks old, how old is she now. I think its great that you helped her and are trying to save her. You do know since she is hand raised she is not releasable. She needs parents to teach her to find food and to stay away from predators. So if your not able to keep her, which I hope you are, that she needs to be someones pet and put her up for adoption if you can't keep her. Thank you. min

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I pm'd Jaye so hopefully he can help you. I'm new and I don't want to tell you something that may be wrong since I'm still learning myself. But Jaye really knows his stuff. Glad your keeping her.

Hopefully someone can help you if Jaye isn't on the computer anymore. min

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Cracyracing, if you look at the top of this page it says Members, New post, calendar, search. Click on search and type in canker and then allot of threads will come up with the word canker in them. There is a good thread called Best Canker Cure and other Meds. Until someone can help you, you can read that and that may help you until someone can respond to your questions. Sorry someone hasn't been on to help you yet. I pm'd a couple of people so just be patient. Sorry I just don't know enough to help you. I know you need medicine called, Metronidazole (Flagyl) and/or spartix but can't explain how much or where to get it besides a vet. min

·
Registered
21 Posts
thank you for your help mindy she is a beautiful bird. we lay on the carpet, my husband and she runs back and forth to us. we named her squeeky.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That is great that your enjoying your squeeky. If it is a canker, have you checked her mouth and see what it looks like. See if its pink. See if there are any white spots. Does it smell. If it is a canker, you will need to get medicine for her, because they can grow and kill the bird. But others will explain more in detail. If I have the medicine that you need I will mail it to you. just send me your address. I will PM you and you can PM me back. min

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
what is a canker? she is acting fine. she has plenty of energy but i dont know if i should feed her with more water in her formula
Canker is a single parasite that many birds have in their system. It's especially common in Pigeons . It's not a big deal but you do need to treat her.
Can I ask where you live so I can direct you to the closest Pigeon supply?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi there, Tracy...just because there are no white spots in the mouth, doesn't mean the baby does not have canker which is a mistake many make. In fact canker is most often present with out the spots in the mouth and throat.
Just a minute and I'll post a link of the medicine.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
we live in corpus christi tx we checked her mouth it is pink with no white spots and no bad odor. her crop is now a little less lumpy maybe a little firm to the touch. thank you

1 - 20 of 31 Posts