Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
finished the loft

Very nice loft. How many birds will it house? Cost of materials?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is after paint (to match the house)
So far I'm into this project for $331.25 but I'm going to add a second coat of paint and plexiglass to the aviary/coop openings later on.
I'm planning on Homers to race sometime in the future.
Maybe two pair of breeders at first and then maintain 8 or so birds. The inside dimentions are 4' X8' I'm not sure how many homers I can keep in that space without overcrowding. I think 8 or 10 is enough anyway.
paintcoop.jpg

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if you go with 2 ft per bird...8x10= 80 divided by the 2 ft is 40 birds!....so yes your birds will be in heaven. very nice job!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
if you go with 2 ft per bird...8x10= 80 divided by the 2 ft is 40 birds!....so yes your birds will be in heaven. very nice job!
That's 2 square feet of floor room. I think it's more like 20 birds. 40 birds would really be very crowded. Besides, the loft isn't 8X10.
What size is the loft?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Great looking loft, and at a very reasonable price. Good luck and have fun with the birds

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sorry. I just noticed that it is 4X8. 8 birds would probably be great. You don't want to over crowd.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think because he said 8 to 10 birds. LOL. I still think 8 would be enough. It should be 2 square feet per bird. Not just 2 feet.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Nice loft. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
yes 16 is max which is more than enough. :)
It should be 2 square feet, (that's 2 feet in each direction). You're figuring just 2 feet. 16 birds...................too many birds to be healthy.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
oh your right more like half that right? how do you figure square footage 4x8 is 32 square ft right?
2 sq. feet is actually 4 feet. 2 feet in each direction.:D So I divide by 4. Don't know what everyone else does, but it comes out right.
Actually, I hate math.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts