Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiona has poop caked on her back end. Just soaked her in a dishof warm water and gently removed as much as i could. She has been looking a little unhappy so checked her out. She has not laid eggs for years but mates with Blue. They are fed pigeon mix, receive grit and fresh water with calciboost. Is there anything else i can do to help her? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Are the poop that you removed normal looking? Do you give apple cider vinegar in the drinking water?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marina, the poops look normal. I will add apple cider vinegar ( how much do you add?). Thanks.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonight Fiona ate normally, finally! Seems happier after bathing. Put a little ACV in her water dish.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to soak and remove hard, caked poop from Fiona’s rear again today. She seemed happier afterward. Dont know why it keeps happening. Was worried she couldnt poop. Fed her three defrosted peas and she made a normal poop. Am worried because it keeps happening. Have begun giving the pigeons organic apple cider vinegar in her water. She has not laid eggs for five years but sometimes acts broody and i worry she will become egg bound or internally constipated. Is there more i can do to prevent the problem? Thank you!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fed Fiona more defrosted peas today. The area near her vent seems hard unlike the other femaleswe have. Am worried she has an egg stuck. Could shepoop with an egg stuck in side? There are no vets open today. today. She seems tired.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Why don't you give her a good soak in lukewarm water for half an hour? Give her some extra calcium and keep her warm. Is her back haunched with the wings hanging low? You can also gently massage that area with a bit of olive oil. A few drops of oil given orally might also help.

I hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marina B, thank you. Just gave her a couple of drops of calciboost and a few more defrosted peas. Gave her a pan of warm water which she finally soaked in. She drank some water with acv in it. Now she is sitting acting broody. Yes her back is haunched with wings low. Gave her some timothy hay which she grabbed. Am hoping she will be ok. Sent the vet a pleafor an xray andexam tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dropped Fiona off at our exotics vet earlier today. Am waiting for his assessment. Wish i could get her to our avian vet...but they are fouhours away each way.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vet xrayed poor Fiona. He said she is egg bound with two large misshapen eggs , one nested inside the other so the shells were really thick. He said everything else looked ok. She s eating a littleapparently because she is defecating and urinating. Heis giving her fluids and lubrication and wants to stabilize her before trying the get the eggs out with sedation.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spoke with vet again. They are keeping Fiona overnight. She is eating and pooping. She has been given pain meds and antibiotics. Vet was not able to getthe egg out with lubrication or by tryingto aspirate it (too thick, mummified). He is giving her oxytocin. Next stepwould be surgical removal. I hope she is ok. I am very worried about her. Her mate, Blue, seems sad and at a loss.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She isabout 8 years old. Vet just said the egg was misshapen. Am waiting to hear if she made it through the night.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got Fiona back from the exotics vet. Oxytocin didnt move the egg. Suggested he consult with an avian vet we have been to so he sent xrays and labs tohim. Egg is stuck to tissue. She seems fine and flew uponto her tall perch. But her poop is scanAnd looks like starvation poop.Am to give her enrofloxacin,calcium gluconate,and meloxicam. My car wont make it four hours each way to the avian vet.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Hope she will be fine. One of my hens had a real bad case of eggbinding (our local vet diagnosed her with mega colon syndrome 🙈). She was in a very bad shape when I got her back after 10 days. I was furious, thought I was going to lose her! Then after 2 days back home she got rid of the egg and all the abcesses that has formed in her body. I put her on antibiotics and she survived! They are hardy. Hope that egg gets laid soon.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marina, so gladto hear your hen got better!
We have decided to take her to Medical Center for Birds (four hours away). Dr Speer saw her xrays and labs and said she needs an expert. My significant other will take her...i have to take care of everyone else. I so hope she makes it. She has a “retained egg adhered to the uterine wall. “ it is mummified so i dont know long it has been in there and us an egg inside a second one. I so hope she will pull through.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fiona is on the four plus hour trip with my significant other to Medical Center for Birds. Gave her the AM antibiotic. She wouldnt eat but didnt want her to vomit so didnt force feed her peas. Sat on her high perch looking out the window. Let her visit briefly with her mate, Blue. Dr Speer is worried about cancer or infection as well as the retained mummified egg. I know at MCFB she is in the very best hands. Probably wont ave surgery until tomorrow, if she survives the car ride.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vet called from MCFB. They said she is stable and will have surgery this afternoon. They will see during surgerywhat is going on and decide whetherto just remove the eggs or whether also to remove her uterus and ovary. Her mate, Blue, really misses her and o do i.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts