Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just heard from Dr Speer. Fiona 95% out of the woods. Had mummified eggstuff like hard boiled egg on her uterus. Some blood loss. Doing well. He will check her in AM.Said stuff was probably in there months or years.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Heard from Dr Speerthis AM, who said she is up running around but not eating much. He said she s looking good. He said he removed “the tube” so she cannot lay eggs with shells anymore. We talked about behavioral changes (make food scarce, make her forage, remove nesting material). He did not recommend a hormone implant because they last only 49 days.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dr Speer said today he is happy with how Fiona is doing except that she is not eating much. He removed about 70 g of stuff during her surgery. Hope she is ok and will start eating.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Marina, just heard from MCFB that Fiona will only eat with assisted feeding. Tech said her droppings are ok. We are hesitant to bring her home until she is eating.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Spoke with MCFB today. They said we can pick up Fiona Thurs AM, that she s doing well.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
MCFB said Fiona is ready to come home and is eating by herself. Have asked about causes. Dr Speer said the birds may be breeding because they see an excess of food. Will limit their food and make them forage. Also will transition them to pellets probably instead of seeds. They get Calciboost and probiotics. Will ask more tomorrow when Scott picks the bird up.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Fiona is home in her cage. She is off all meds. She s eating and drinking. Dr Speer said it is ok for her to be with Blue, her mate, but he chased her relentlesslyy and i removed him for a while to give her a break.Dr Speer said i should change Fiona to low fat food such as rowdybush or Harrisons.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Gave Fiona an hour long supervised visit with Blue, her mate. He chased her, showed off, and tried to have sex with her. Finally i took him out so she could eat,and she made a textbook normal poop.j

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Fiona is doing great. Had more supervised visitswith her mate Blue. She keeps giving him the beak. Am trying to discourage mating. He takes about 45 minutes to calm down. He is in a separate cage between visits. I want herto heal from her celiotomy. Dr Speer removed heruterus but not her ovaries. He said she cannot make hard shelled eggs. Do pigeons have ectopic pregnancies?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Have begun reducing the photoperiod in the shed to only 8 hours by covering the windows in the shed. Also am moving dishes around. Am changing their foo d from pigeon mixto pellets. Finally, have stopped supervised visits and put cardboard so Fiona and Blue cannot see each other. They are too frantic to breed and i worry Fiona could die if she breeds. I feel so mean but needto stop Fiona from reproductive behaviors. Dr Speer was against a hormone implant for her.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts