Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This week Fiona Jr seemed lighter with a more prominent keel bone. Weighed him, 398 g compared to Buzzy, who weighs 438 and seems plumper with more muscle. They are our four month old oops babies. I think Fiona Jr is a male based on behavior and that Buzzy is a female. Tried to look in Fiona Jrs mouth but didn't see anything weird. Droppings seem ok but am wondering if they might gave coccodia. Their mom and the other girls were treated twice before with two meds for moderate coccidia. I think Fiona Jr and Buzzy are three months old now. Will weigh him again for a few days but am thinking parasites? Especially with all the worm photos posted by people today. If the trend continues will have the vet look at him and maybe do a fecal test.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
One bird can just be smaller than the other. Is he acting okay? Eating well? If Cocci, should have loose droppings.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will clean the cages in the morning so I can get a better idea of droppings that haven't been walked in. Fiona Jr has always been bigger than Buzzy.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Did he weigh more than Buzzy before?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He used to be noticeably larger than Buzzy before. Today he weighed 382 and she weighed 428g before breakfast. His poop is a little loose but hers looks fine.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Maybe he is just a little stressed, any new changes in the coop?

I would give probiotics if you haven't, as that might just crowd out any bad bacteria and take care of the issue.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am giving probiotics twice per week. No changes in the shed or other birds. He does seem to have reached puberty as he spends a lot of time vocalizing and showing off for Buzzy who I suspect us a female. If he doesn't start regaining weight I will take him to the vet. His poop looks a little loose.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Do you know if he is eating normally? Hard to really tell unless he is kept separate from his sib. If he is actually losing weight, then he either isn't eating enough or maybe has worms. Or maybe he is fine, and his sibling is just gaining more than him at this point. Maybe she eats more.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His weight was again 382 before breakfast today so I think it is stable. He seems to be eating. He flew into my hand today, first time, and back into his cage when he got tired of being out. Smart boy.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If he is acting fine then he probably is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts