Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I decided leave the door to the loft open while I changed the water. I've had four pair of yb's for 2 weeks and figured whoever wanted out could have it. But first, I used BigT's method of hawk watching before releasing. I looked for hawks for about ten minutes and decided the coast was clear. One of the birds has been out twice and returned both times. When I came back five were out. So I closed the door and made sure the trap was open and had fresh food in the trough. They hung out in the area for about an hour then a hawk showed as all five were on top of my neighbors roof. They all split up and ran like hell. The one the hawk as on flew under my other neighbor's patio and hit the wall. The hawk sat on another roof and watched as the rest of the birds flew around disoriented. I yelled at him, then recovered the bird from under the patio. It was very stunned, but allowed me to grab it. I returned it safely to the loft. Two others, one of which was the one that has been out, eventually showed up on my roof, then trapped a few minutes later. I spotted another under the car across the street and recovered it.

I am still missing one. I pray that, at the very least, it is hiding somewhere and will be fine. It would be even better if it would come home tomorrow.

Now I'm concerned that the two birds I caught are too spooked. Also, I worry that the hawk will hunt this area harder if I let them out again anytime soon. How long should I lock them down before letting them out again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since it sounds like your birds are still prety young I would leave them in for a few days or so, or however long you see fit.... good news is one of your birds came back and trapped...sometimes when they are young and scared they will just fly as far as they can in one direction and never see them again, or in your case hide under cars, etc.. Once you get your birds routing and hawk smart they wont be flying and running into things when they see a hawk (hopefully) its just one of those things where you have to take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I am still missing one. I pray that, at the very least, it is hiding somewhere and will be fine. It would be even better if it would come home tomorrow.

Now I'm concerned that the two birds I caught are too spooked. Also, I worry that the hawk will hunt this area harder if I let them out again anytime soon. How long should I lock them down before letting them out again.[/QUOTE]

OK, do not worry about the spooked birds. They are now wiser and will watch closer for mister hawk. As for the hawk, he is either passing thru or this is part of his hunting area. Do you know what kind of hawk it was? As for letting them out, wait for at lease two strait clear days then let them out in the late afternoons until they build wing strength. Watch the skys and the birds before letting them out, they might see the hawk before you do.

Good Luck,
Tony

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

My last bird made it back the following evening. The hawks are unbearable in the PM around my house. I have noticed that the mornings are hawk free and every wild bird in the area is moving about freely. I think tomorrow AM i'll let them out before work. I now have atleast three of my eight that have been out and trapped on their own. I'd like to be home to enjoy their flight, but if AM is all I have, then I'll be constrained to weekends, barring bad weather. If I let them out before work once or twice a week, they will get exercise and learn more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts