Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i checked the coop this morning and i found an egg!!! the parents are out in the Aviary and not incubating!? what do i do?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Wait for second egg. Then they should start incubating. Sometimes first rounds of eggs are wasted as parents are too inexperienced and do not sit on them. You can either foster them to another pair or replace them with plastic ones. Don’t push parents, let them learn they role.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i whent to check on the egg and it had a small dent is the egg gone? second egg has not happend yet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congratulations!

The 2nd egg usually will be there the next day at the same time you checked for the 1st one. :)

Dent? Would you please take a picture so we can see?

G

·
dented eggs are usually no good cuz bacteria can get in and they usually die in the shell so you might want to replace that egg with a fake egg and put more nesting material in the nest to keep the next one from cracking too .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i checked in and the moms sitting in the nest but not on the egg second egg has not yet come i put more nesting material but the crack happened after the egg was laid i came to check on the birds and neither mom or dad were on the egg and i noticed the small dent.

G

·
ok i checked in and the moms sitting in the nest but not on the egg second egg has not yet come i put more nesting material but the crack happened after the egg was laid i came to check on the birds and neither mom or dad were on the egg and i noticed the small dent.
dont worry sometimes they dont sit til the second one is layed ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked on egg before dinner mom was sitting on egg now its dark out neither parent is sitting on the egg how long will the egg last unincubated egg number 2 still has not arrived.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Egg can last up to 8 days with good chances to hatch. After that chances are getting slimmer. If egg is dented, cracked it can be repaired, but I would not recommend it. These are their first eggs and they are still inexperienced. Let them learn to be parents and provide vitamins, minerals and specially calcium. Do your pigeons have nesting bowl? Did you provide them with nesting material? (twigs, straws, paper cuts)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did provide a bowel for nesting along with twigs and all that good stuff the mother has been sitting but stopped during the night.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I suggest perhaps some shell grit and calcium...yours will learn eventually to sit on eggs properly but before then if you really want them to hatch your best bet is to replace them with fake eggs and foster them. Congrats :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Calcium is a huge issue, make sure the female is getting a good quality drit, vitamins, and fresh dark greens (offers calcium).

Most pigeons lay two eggs, but not all. My Mookee Beautiful, only lays one. In the past she would not sit in on it, but she was single. Now that she has a mate, she sits on it, and they take turns.

-Hilly

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update 2nd egg has arrived first egg doesn't look good kind of yellow it has become hot were 78 degrees the mom is sitting the eggs tho.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i took a second look the first egg is fine the NEW egg is a yellow tone / not fully formed. what is that from?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "Not fully fromed".

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey Dimitry,
Pictures would really help us see what you are trying to explain :) I'm very curious to see it.

G

·
ok i took a second look the first egg is fine the NEW egg is a yellow tone / not fully formed. what is that from?
sounds like you need to add some calcium to your birds diet in the form of oyster shells .. was this a shelless egg or just a thin shelled egg ?:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update yea i gave them calcium today the egg broke in the nest so only 1 is left. this is a completely new experience for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next update more questions for a newbie the pigeon that produced the egg is only 4-5 months old. isn't that a little young is it possible the egg is not fertile how can I tell?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Next update more questions for a newbie the pigeon that produced the egg is only 4-5 months old. isn't that a little young is it possible the egg is not fertile how can I tell?
Yes, it is a little young .. not too young for the egg to be fertile, but possibly too young to be a good parent should the egg hatch. If the egg is being incubated by the parents, then you can "candle" it in about 5 days to see of there is an embryo growing. Candling is just shining a light source through the egg to see if there are any veins developing. You can search on the term and find lots of posts.

Terry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts