Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Yesterday we found an egg under the hen of our newest pair of homers (about 8 mo) She had been restless and very protective of her space for the past couple of days, so in hindsight we were not surprised to see the egg.

It came at about 10am and by 3pm there was another one. Since they should come a couple days apart I am wondering if the first one had become stuck and wasn't able to come out until the second one came. This morning we noticed that one of the eggs was badly cracked - not sure, but think it could be the first one. We removed it from the nest bowl and now neither bird seems interested in sitting on the remaining one.

I understand that the first eggs may not survive for various reasons and that hopefully the hen's next ones will be fine. In the meantime, is there any hope for this egg that is not being incubated...? Will one of the parents reconsider and go back to the nest bowl? And, if not, would another hen be willing to sit on the egg?

Thanks for any feedback on this...we are relatively new at this.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I would make sure you have some kind of supplemental calcium available for your birds.
Its hard to say what happened to the first egg, your living in a cold climate it could have froze before the second egg was laid, some experienced hens will stay close enough to the first egg to keep it from freezing before the second is laid, some hens don't.
Eggs should be one day apart not any more than that. You could try to move the egg if you have a pair that only has one egg already but 3 egg under one pair can be too much for some birds. I have had a few pair raise 3 babies but one will often be extra small.
My best guess would be to remove the egg if they are not sitting on it already and give extra calcium and wait for the second round which shouldn't be too long of a wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Than you for the good thoughts... two days after this current post, TWO more eggs appeared in the nest bowl! I get that they are both hens but am wondering why they each laid 2 eggs in the same day.

We have another "pair" that we have thought were breeding mates but am now pretty much convinced that they are both males.

The two hens are nest mates and have always been rather attached to each other. I hate to split them up so am planning to put all 4 together and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm afraid you could be right about the hens remaining as a pair....they look almost identical, they do everything together (turn their heads to one side at the same time, fly together, come back together) and have always shared the same spaces- almost sitting on top of each other.

As much as I hate to separate them, it might be the only way to get fertilized eggs...(just hope they won't be too devastated without each other)

Attachments

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
why not get two new hens for the cock birds and just leave this pair, you could use them for foster parents if you ever needed them. be sure to let them sit their eggs as they will lay too soon and deplete too much calcium too soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The blue bar is the product of a white fantail and blue bar. The other is a white homer...all 4 of our birds came from a man who raises and breeds white doves (for weddings etc). These were "extras" and we think they are wonderful :):)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two black and bluebar mix are young -btw 8-10 mo. We flew the two black ones with our white homer thinking they would have the better chance of returning because they do everything together. We also thought the bluebar was a female and not wanting to lose our opportunity for young ones kept her from flying. All of them stopped flying in at the end of September when the hawks became more visable. So we haven't seen him fly yet.

We haven't noticed any different neck movements ...he bows and charges forward however, which is different form the white one. Both males are very vocal and puff out their crop area with hardly any encouragement...:)

We have separated them at this point. The more dominant black bird is with the bluebar and seems to be quite content. The sister has been sitting apart from the white dove, up on a rafter since we made the switch. Hopefully she will adjust soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

It seems we have 3 hens. After rearranging the occupants of the two lofts, we found 4 eggs in the with the blue bar and one of the black diamonds. After candling them (just to be certain) and finding them to be infertile we removed them and put two fake ones back to share.

We are wondering how long the fake ones should be left in the nest.

The white homer and other black diamond also have (2) eggs. They came about a week later and haven't been candled yet.

Your imput is appreciated!

Alyson

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Jedd's also sells good solid plastic eggs. Hard to tell them from the real ones. Much better than the wooden ones.
Leave the fakes until they get tired of sitting on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First babies!

After a year and a half we at last found a mate for our only male and have hatched two young ones...it has been fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
OH they're beautiful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts