Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you release a bird for the first time? do you just open the door and let it out or throw it in the air from a distance from the loft. i am getting ready to let go my first pair and dont know what to do . they know how to trap already.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
how do you release a bird for the first time? do you just open the door and let it out or throw it in the air from a distance from the loft. i am getting ready to let go my first pair and dont know what to do . they know how to trap already.
Just open the window/door and let them come out on their own. Do not scare them, do not MAKE them come out. Just stand back, keep an eye out for hawks, cats......what ever you have around there and let them venture out on their own. Make sure they are hungry. If they have eaten today, then don't let them out.
Once they've been out for 30 minutes or so, call them in. If they come out, do some investigating and come in when you call them, then consider yourself as having had a wonderful day. ;)
PS: How old are they? How long have they been going through the trap?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are 5 weeks old and have been trapping for about 3 days i am going to let them out next week though... when i am training them to trap i have a cage in front of the trap door and then after about 2 hours they trap. they know how to trap its just that i think they like it up in the cage(nice and breezy get a better scenery) so when i look they are always lying down "chillin' " lol but i guess after a while they get bored and trap. instead of opening the loft door should i put them in the "trap cage" and open the cage to the outside instead?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
they are 5 weeks old and have been trapping for about 3 days i am going to let them out next week though... when i am training them to trap i have a cage in front of the trap door and then after about 2 hours they trap. they know how to trap its just that i think they like it up in the cage(nice and breezy get a better scenery) so when i look they are always lying down "chillin' " lol but i guess after a while they get bored and trap. instead of opening the loft door should i put them in the "trap cage" and open the cage to the outside instead?
Please bear in mind that this is MY opinion, so take it for what it's worth. First of all, 3 days isn't long enough for trap training. Second, you do not want to release those birds to the outside until they are trapping when YOU want them to trap. Not when THEY want to trap. If you call them and they are in the settling cage and won't trap in right away, then don't turn them loose. They are being fed too much I expect.
Is this cage something that YOU have to put the birds in or is there a way for them to enter the cage themselves?
Depending on your answer, here's what I would do. If YOU are putting them in the cage and then calling them in and they won't trap, then take them back out of the cage and put them back in the loft (not through the traps) and don't feed them. Try again after a couple of hours. If they don't trap, put them back in and don't feed.
You might as well teach them correctly now or you'll have problems. They have to learn, cage, you call, they trap, they eat..........and they do this when YOU say so.......not when THEY say so.
Otherwise, the first time you let them out, you'll be posting that your birds have been out all day and won't trap in. They may even spend the night outside.

L

·
0 Posts
yeah you have to realize theres no sense in rushing your birds out into the real world or they will be gone ...they have to take it all in slowly and at their own pace .. and never NEVER rush them into the air or out of the avairy before they are ready .. I would trap train at least 2 weeks and they have to get the idea that when you call them that they need to go in when you do, not on their own time ... and once they get the idea you can them let them explore without the training cage but never spook them in anyway just let them explore the area or they will be gone if they take to thr air before they are ready and aquainted with the area ... patience is a virtue with pigeons dont forget that :) they are just babys after all;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol i was not going to let them go untill next week saturday. yeah i know its just that they dont really eat much at all. i will not feed them tomorrow until they trap and try to get them into that habbit. i put them into a cage, they cannot get into the cage but only into the loft.
thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts