Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my loft up and running for a few weeks now...everything was going so smoothly until 5 am this morning.

My dogs woke me up (2 big german shepard crosses) at 5am this morning, just a few minutes before my alarm went off. Both of them were going nuts...bristled up and snarling like I've never seen (they aren't watch dogs at all, more likely would invite a robber in and show him where they keep their toys). I was sleepy and confused at first but quickly realized that something was very wrong. They were staring out the bedroom windows and pacing with agitation, looking at the loft. I looked out and it was still very dark, but I could make out the outline of the loft against the sky as it was beginning to lighten.

Something about it didn't look right at all, then I realized that I could see the loft door, which is on the short side and should have been out of my view.
And then the whole loft moved, rocked violently was more like it.
Off to one side of it I just barely caught a glimpse of something HUGE and looked like it was brown in color. My loft roof is six feet high, and the back of this creature was well over half as tall as the loft, maybe 4' or a bit more:eek:
The dogs were really worked up and slamming up against the windows and my boyfriend had woken with a start and asked what was happening.
We don't have bears around here usually, but there have been a few reports of bear sightings at a park just a few miles away...so the only thing I could think was I had a bear trying to get into the loft. So I'm screaming "BEAR! BEAR IN THE LOFT!"
My boyfriend jumped out of bed grabbed the shotgun and loaded it. We both ran for the door, threw the dogs back and headed outside.
He headed around the back of the loft, gun aimed and I stood back shaking.. And then he starts screaming profanity.
Not hearing a gun shot, I went around the back side of the loft and came face to face with a HUGE HOG. It is one of our neighbors that he has been keeping as pets in his garage for quite a few years now (sad situation that is, especially for the horse he has in there too:mad:)
We tried to shoo it off but at tossed it snout at us in a threatening gesture and went right back to trying to break into the loft. SO I went and let the dogs out and they lit right into it, snapping at it's heels as it booked across the field towards the neighbors house.
It managed to rotate my whole loft about 90 degrees and did some damage to the bottom of it, but no holes and did not manage to get at any of the pigeons...they looked scared, but okay.
Sadly, before it went for the pigeons, it DID manage to break into my chicken coop. I had a bunch of week old baby chicks in a brooder box with mama hen on the floor. The pig ate all of the chicks. I found mama hen in a nest box with one wings torn nearly off, and almost every bone in her crushed. How she managed to get into the nest box to save herself I will never know...but she died just a few moments after I found her.
My yard is a mess...the pig rummaged through every garbage can and spread it every where, and broke several storage tubs open that didn't have anything in them.

I'm not even going to ask if anyone has ever had this happen before...I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

What I'm worried about now is what on god's green earth would cause a pig to behave like this? It hunted and killed my chickens, and was about to do the same with my pigeons...I don't know much about pigs, but this just doesn't seem right.

My neighbor got a very rude awakening this morning.
I'm heart broken over the loss of me hen and chicks.
I'm buying my dogs each a ham dinner tonight. They saved the lives of my pigeons.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
OMG.........I've never heard of anything like this, but, I've never been around pigs or hogs either, so I'm not sure what they are capable of doing.
I know my heart was racing while reading your post. I'm so sorry about you chickens.
Did the hog break out of whatever it is kept in or does it run loose? This is very strange. It must be one huge animal to do what it did.
I am glad however, that it didn't get to your pigeons. They must have been terrified. I can't imagine........

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one is the oldest pig he has, it has to weigh at least 800 lbs. He has a total of two pigs in the garage. He added the second last spring as a piglet. The piglet got loose last year, and he could not catch it for months as the eating was good out in the corn field that seperates our properties. It ran feral for several months, got into our trash a few times. I'm a pretty good natured neighbor, so I didn't gripe too much and just picked it up.
But after another neighbor had his lawn almost entirely rototilled by it, it was finally caught and penned back up. I suspect that the pig owning neighbor had to pay to have that lawn fixed. My dogs developed their keen dislike for pigs over this time and they had several tangles with the little one, which was nearly as tall as they are, so I use little in comparison to the size of the big one.
This one is the big one, and I have never seen it loose before. These animals are living in very poor conditions, and the only thing I can think of is that he hasn't fed them enough or at all and they are very hungry.
He said he would replace the chicks...but I don't want that. They were our first home bred chickens that any of our hens have managed to hatch out and we were really looking forward to watching them grow up following mama around the yard.

I am an animal lover, but I had to tell him that if the pig gets loose and comes over again I will be calling the sheriffs and having it destroyed. I won't lose my birds (chickens or pigeons!) due to his inability to properly care for his animals.
The whole thing was very odd...not a good morning for me. I don't know how he's going to catch it, it's so big...it's still loose and out in the field. I am standing guard all day and the dogs are walking the property line agitated, and just waiting.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I'm an animal lover as much as the next person, but I'm afraid this hog would have to go. It sounds like it would be better off dead than having to live with the moron that isn't taking care of it.
Again, I don't know much about hogs/pigs but I did know a guy that had a pet pig and she was the biggest, sweetest thing I've ever been around.
I hope they can get this hog caught and penned back up or something.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Iam not going to say what I think should happen to him,as it is against the rules here, just sorry for such a neighbor that can't keep his live stock up so it can not do any damage, some of those hogs can hurt a person too. I would say if it is a one time deal then give the neighbor time to fix it, if it comes over again the animal control needs to be called or the sheriff's office.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is horrible. I know what you mean about wanting your chickens to have thier own babies, I am looking forward to that myself.

Unfortunatly, I have heard of hungry pigs eating grown chickens before. Many moons ago, my husband lived next to a fella that only came up from NYC to feed his animals 2 times a month. He had pet birds, alligators, a boa constrictor, and hogs. He kept his hogs in his garage too. First, one of the two hogs ate the other, then he broke out of the garage and into the next door neighbor's barn and and ate the chickens.

Needless to say, once this happened, he was turned in for animal cruelty. Back then you didn't typically pay big fines or serve time, you just had to give your animals away and maybe do community service. The sad part is that the guy really thought he was doing these animals a favor and loved them. He was clueless!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really not sure what to do at this point. I do know that pigs are supposed to be very intelligent animals...I am afraid that since it made a nice meal out of my chicks and is aware of the presence of my pigeons that this may become an ongoing thing.

I'd really hate to have the animal destroyed but there really isn't any other option. Our area is very rural, mostly a farming community. We don't have any organization in our county that protects animals...no SPCA, humane society, no where to report animal cruelty. Otherwise, his animals would have been taken long ago.
Even our dog catcher just ties strays up in his own back yard, no facilities. If they aren't claimed they get transferred to the next county over. Which is really no better. They have kennels, but do not humanely euthanize the dogs - my family went to look for a dog to adopt about 6 or 7 years ago and were horrified that their county's sheriff was there and waiting for us to leave so he could shoot several dogs that had been there too long. I guess bullets are more cost effective.

I guess only time will tell what the pig will do...I just hate the whole situation, and it really has been forced upon me.

Thanks for the support guys...it's nice to have a place to vent.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am really not sure what to do at this point. I do know that pigs are supposed to be very intelligent animals...I am afraid that since it made a nice meal out of my chicks and is aware of the presence of my pigeons that this may become an ongoing thing.

I'd really hate to have the animal destroyed but there really isn't any other option. Our area is very rural, mostly a farming community. We don't have any organization in our county that protects animals...no SPCA, humane society, no where to report animal cruelty. Otherwise, his animals would have been taken long ago.
Even our dog catcher just ties strays up in his own back yard, no facilities. If they aren't claimed they get transferred to the next county over. Which is really no better. They have kennels, but do not humanely euthanize the dogs - my family went to look for a dog to adopt about 6 or 7 years ago and were horrified that their county's sheriff was there and waiting for us to leave so he could shoot several dogs that had been there too long. I guess bullets are more cost effective.

I guess only time will tell what the pig will do...I just hate the whole situation, and it really has been forced upon me.

Thanks for the support guys...it's nice to have a place to vent.
If a person came to your house and killed your pets and damaged property, would you not call the sheriff's office...? why is it an animal can do this damage and folks just don't know what to do....I don't get it. you tell the owner to keep his hog contained or you call the sheriff....when you see the hog again, which you will if the owner does'nt give a darn, call....then go from there, you will need outside help at that point, no need to even confront the neighbor again. have a plan, take action! don't sit and worry and stew over it. although it is sad about the chicks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no worries Spirit, that is what will happen, if the pig touches one single hoof upon my property. I was really just lamenting that I have no way to have the animal SEIZED. If I just had an organization around here with the authority to go take them, I'd be feeling much better about everything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sorry

Sorry Bella!:( I'm so glad your pigeons are safe, but I'm sorry to read about your chickens.:mad:
All I can say is good luck, and keep an eye on your birds. I will pray for their safety.

Pigs are opportunists, they can and will eat anythig they can find! my brother and I have kept pigs in the past. We know from experience, that they are also escape artists!:eek:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bella, columba livia hit it on the head. Pigs are opportunists and escape artists and will eat and eat and eat. Present the neighbor with a bill for the damage(be real), explain that it better never happen again, and tell him that if it does and makes any threatening moves, you will have to protect yourselves. Don't be fooled by a huge hog, it can and will run you down and tear you up before you can think about getting away. Be careful.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Pigs kill and eat people pretty frequently. If they are not removed, they grow huge tusks often 4 or 5 inches long and sometimes much longer.
James Weiss, one of the members of Pigeon Talk that lives near me, had to put down a herd of pigs that ate a farmer he knew.
Several years ago in Kentucky, one man watched from a tree as a friend was eaten and killed (in that order) by feral pigs.
Feral pigs are a huge problem in Texas and are becoming a huge problem throughout the US.
In Gallia County, Ohio areas of Wayne National Forest look like insane men ran around everywhere with rototillers and took oiut every tree and plant under 1 inch and diameter.
I did not see any snakes or box turtles, even though a friend and I looked hard, in the areas the pigs were.
I talked to a guy from West Milton, Ohio that shot a deer and within the hour it took to come back with a fourwheeler and his nephew to get it, found that the pigs had eaten it all but the hair and some larger bones. They followed the pigs into a thicket and were charged and treed by a large sow.
Pigs eat any source of meat they can find or catch, such as fawns, rabbits, ground nesting birds, snakes and turtles.
Keith

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wo what a jerk neighbor you have. I had the same situation when I first bought my house. My neighbor was to lazy to properly fix his fence and the dog jumped in my koi pond and ate them. I was sooooo mad. Turns out the guy didn't know jack about construction or building anything after I got done giving him the what for. So I fixed his fenceline for a hefty fee of 4 new koi and 2 beers!

·
Registered
265 Posts
:eek: What a story! Makes my worries about hawks pale into insignificance!
Sorry to hear about the havoc caused and good luck with a solution. Something must be done about the hog.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys...I really had no idea that pigs would take live animals...I can wrap my brain around dead ones...but actually killing is news to me. My loft is built sturdy and I used hardware cloth for the entire aviary. I anticipated the possibility of predators...but never thought that one this large and powerful would come along. I'm really thankful to the hardware cloth - he didn't manage to get that torn off at all. Just a few snout shaped dents in the bottom of the aviary. Had it been chicken wire or anything less my aviary would have been a total loss. He may have even managed to pull a wall board off if he had gotten access into the aviary and been able to stick his snout through the opening into the loft.
My neighbor did come up at about 11:00am and help me move the loft back to where it was. Trying to move it, it's scary to think the incredible power that pig has to do what it did. He apologized ALOT...which will be worth nothing if it happens again...but also told me that I have every right to shoot the pig in the future, and should have this morning.

I think the pig has been confined again...it was still out when he came up, but he said he made the repairs to the pen and had put down feed hoping to lure it back in. It disappeared from view around 12 and I haven't seen it since. But I am going to sleep lightly with the bedroom windows open tonight.

The birds seem fine now, everyone ate this morning and came out in to the aviary as if nothing happened. The two birds that I have been flying I am going to keep in for a few days until I am certain that they feel secure again. And here i have been following everything I've learned here to a tee...and life throws such a curve ball...figures!

I had a summer door on the chicken coop which was screened for good summer ventilation. He just mangled that and tossed it aside like it was nothing. I put the winter door back on today....just going to have to put a screen window in the top of it.
I lost mama and her chicks..but all my other chickens escaped up into the rafters...I need to be thankful for this as I not only could have lost my pigeons, but many chickens as well.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
sounds like the neighbor is on the right track. that is so good he had concern. all will be well I do believe.:) again Im so sorry about those little young ones and the ones that tried....

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
OMG, what a horrible thing to wake up to :eek: I'm so sorry about your chickens!
We all love animals here, but that is an awful situation to be confronted with. I sure hope that neighbor contains that hog so you don't have to take drastic action. I wouldn't be able to sleep at all!
Thats unbelievable!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I actually enjoyed reading your story. I got scared reading it. I thought it was either a bear or some human burglar. I am glad that it was neither. I was not expecting about the pig though. Caught me off guard there. Your neighbor will probably have to pay any damages. If not maybe both of you can talk about sharing that pig on a dinner table. I used to raise pigs once when I was a kid. When that pig stood up, it was twice as tall as I was. We put them on a housing whose walls are cement. They can't possibly escape from that. Your neighbor was probably careless. The pig probably was not housed right. This is not pet pig, right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts