Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Yesterday was the start of our annual racing season.

I took part in 3 different races, 2 of which was combined all from 236km to my loft.
The first 2 were 1race where you could nominate 10 birds only who competed for a 4-bird average:(The time between your 1st and 4th bird counts to work out whos loft did the best)

This race i WON!!!

The second of the 2 you could nominate as many birds as you like for R10 a bird where the first 3 birds overall won 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively, in this race i nominated the same 10birds as the 4-bird grouping and i got 5th.

The 3rd race was our official Old bird series where you are allowed to race 20 birds per team, i race 2 teams this year, and in the club i managed 14th, 16th, 26th and 30th.
They only take 30 positions in account for points in the club.
In our club a total of 18 members raced 396 birds.

I am verry happy with the start i got.

Regards

Bezz

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Sounds good to me! Congratulations on your win. Hope the whole season is good for you. Keep us informed.........

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nice! Continue winning and give us any tips.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all

This week wasnt good for me!

In all 3 races i was 6min. of pace,

In my club i managed 20, 22, 24, 25 and 27.
In the 4 bird grouping i came 5th.
In the 3rd race the Pools race i even came in 5th.

It seems like my birds ran out of steam.

Bezz

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Anytime the birds make it home is a win and your birds are earning you points also. We cannot always come in first. It would be no fun for the rest if we did. You are having a good start, congrads and keep flying.

God Bless,
Tony

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Some people are hard on themselves. I think Jos Thone, if his birds are not getting the first 10 places, is not good enough for him. Or was that someone else?

Bezz,
If you believe they ran out of steam, do you think they haven't rested enough? How is their recovery?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bezz,
If you believe they ran out of steam, do you think they haven't rested enough? How is their recovery?
Hi Rod

There recovery was fine.
I listened to an old hand in the club who told me not to feed them on basketing day, hence my thinking that they ran out of steam.

Bezz

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi Rod

There recovery was fine.
I listened to an old hand in the club who told me not to feed them on basketing day, hence my thinking that they ran out of steam.

Bezz
I know people who do that. I think that's pretty cruel personally. It's not like we feed them and they have to fly a 300 mile race an hour later. :rolleyes:
We wouldn't send our kids to school without breakfast. Any one will tell you that if you're hungry, you don't think as clearly.
IMO, food may be the key to getting the birds trained and trapping good, but I don't believe they come home faster because they're hungry. They come home from a race because HOME is where they want to be. ;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Maybe they ran out of food (instead of steam)? Food is our source of energy. Without it will tire us down. Do they feed those birds in a truck before race day? Maybe you can light feed them? I think people say don't feed them before basketing because they don't want their birds to get thirsty. But then I thought they supposed to have drinks available in those trucks. How do you do it there in S. Africa? Everyone has their own techniques.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you do it there in S. Africa? Everyone has their own techniques.
Hi Rod

When we basket on Fridays for the short races the birds only get water on Saturday morning and no food before liberation.
When we basket on Thursdays for the middle to long races the birds get food and water on the Friday on the Truck and again water on the Saturday before liberation takes place.

This coming weekend wil be our 3rd race of the season which is stil Friday basketing.

Bezz

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bezz, One of the worst mistakes a flyer makes is changing a routine or feed or something else on the birds during race season. What worked for you, you should have stuck to, as the birds were used to this. It is amazing how "little of a change", to you is nothing, but to the birds it is stressful and will totally throw them off.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Bezz, One of the worst mistakes a flyer makes is changing a routine or feed or something else on the birds during race season. What worked for you, you should have stuck to, as the birds were used to this. It is amazing how "little of a change", to you is nothing, but to the birds it is stressful and will totally throw them off.
Not just during race season either. We really need to be mindful of what we do and when we do it and try to stick to some sort of routine with the birds. I remember before we started flying OB's this year, I did something TOTALLY different with my birds and it threw them for a loop no doubt. It never dawned on me that changing the routine like I did would have a negative effect on them. Boy did I learn MY lesson.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all

Todays race was from 386km to me and the birds have done me proud. :D

From last weeks dissastrous race where i was far behind and not on the sheet, this week i managed 5th, 7th and 17th out of 404 birds entered by 21 members in our club. :cool:

My velocity was 1279mpm.

Bezz

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi all

Todays race was from 386km to me and the birds have done me proud. :D

From last weeks dissastrous race where i was far behind and not on the sheet, this week i managed 5th, 7th and 17th out of 404 birds entered by 21 members in our club. :cool:

My velocity was 1279mpm.

Bezz
Good for you! 21 members in your club? Heck, we can barely get that many members in our Combine......:rolleyes: Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but no clubs around here have anything close to 21 members. Must be nice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good for you! 21 members in your club? Heck, we can barely get that many members in our Combine......:rolleyes: Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but no clubs around here have anything close to 21 members. Must be nice.
Thanks, and yes the competition is verry strong!
We are 80 odd members in our division and 200 odd in the union i am regisred to fly in.

Bezz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts