Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our club and combine had our first race yesterday. On a club level we shipped 117 and had only 20 birds on the day. The combine level was around 370 birds with 123 returns. Hopefully everyone will get some birds back today or our young bird season might not race the full schedule. Anyone's opinion on hurricanes off the coast might have effected our race in Georgia?:eek:

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Our club and combine had our first race yesterday. On a club level we shipped 117 and had only 20 birds on the day. The combine level was around 370 birds with 123 returns. Hopefully everyone will get some birds back today or our young bird season might not race the full schedule. Anyone's opinion on hurricanes off the coast might have effected our race in Georgia?:eek:
I don't have any idea if the hurricane has anything to do with it or not, but it is as good of an excuse as any other I have heard. I have a feeling a lot of us will experience the same thing before the season is out, with or without hurricanes.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think it does. Last year we had a smash with a hurricane in the gulf. Then a week ago we had the same thing 150+ birds and 11 day birds. We did have a good race this week but alot of clubs around here had bad ones last week.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Check Closer To Home

First a Hurricane thousands of miles away is not the problem, look closer to home.#1 many of the birds in the first few races are poor race birds,add to this sickness and stress plus poor trainning, and you have a cocktail brewed for losses. Forget what other people say check out what you may or may not have done to cause these losses in your loft. ..GEORGE;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't speak for everyone in our combine, but my birds have been road trained over 600 air miles and on a medication program all year. The days I don't road train they loft fly in the morning and evening.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
First a Hurricane thousands of miles away is not the problem, look closer to home.#1 many of the birds in the first few races are poor race birds,add to this sickness and stress plus poor trainning, and you have a cocktail brewed for losses. Forget what other people say check out what you may or may not have done to cause these losses in your loft. ..GEORGE;)
This was our 4 week racing and this was from 135 miles. I don't know why they didn't come home but I can tell you this after finishing in the top ten pretty much every week until this race (one I lost got 4th the week before this) and taking 5 places in the top ten this week I don't think it is my birds. The birds I lost have been the ones finishing in the top ten and I had no day birds accually didn't see a bird at all until tues. and the race was sat. I can guarantee you this our club did not send 140 unhealty, not trained, stressed, or whatever birds to this race.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Maybe it has nothing to do with hurricanes but it is something. Last week overseas Lanarkshire club pigeons at the Wetherby station with reported perfect weather lost over 3000 pigeons. 4400 were sent and they think 1400 have returned over a week later.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Everyone loses pigeons. There are numerous reasons, and some not known to us.

I do suspect that those on the short ends tend to lose fewer pigeons. Common sense tells me that, as pigeons that fly further have more time in the air for something to happen.

I wonder if anyone has done a statistical analysis of pigeon loses c/w short versus long locations?

I know of some outstanding pigeon flyers that can take 8 birds and complete a full young bird season and a complete old bird season with just those 8 birds, and not lose any.

But those same knowledgeable flyers, can suffer a devastating loss of young birds on one day. They can lose 90 percent of their birds on one 20 mile training toss, on a clear day.

Same flyer. Same birds. Same methods. Do two complete seasons with 8 birds and lose 40 birds on a routine training toss.

We may never know the reasons, but along with everything else "out there" that we do know about, I suspect there are forces of nature and science that influence our birds, that we are not aware of yet. Radio waves. Sun flares. High Diffinition TV signals. Maybe even magnetic fluctuations of Earths magnetic field.

Who knows for sure? Certainly not me.

I agree that many times it is lesser quality birds, or mistakes by the flyers. But I do not agree those are always the answers.

Something is "out there", that we do not understand or have knowledge of as yet, IMHO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
lost birds

email me maybe i can help

·
Registered
69 Posts
thats what i think to

thats what i think to my frist race lost none or my 2nd lost none and had all my birds in 17 min 25 birds

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Can't speak for everyone in our combine, but my birds have been road trained over 600 air miles and on a medication program all year. The days I don't road train they loft fly in the morning and evening.
Hi FREEBIRD, If we are talking young bird races and you have trained them out to 600 miles which is something that I never heard of. From what you say here I would say that you have over trained your young birds and that may very well be your problem OVER TRAINED YOUNG BIRDS TRAINED OUT TO 600 MILES,like I said look closer to home. ...GEORGE;)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi FREEBIRD, If we are talking young bird races and you have trained them out to 600 miles which is something that I never heard of. From what you say here I would say that you have over trained your young birds and that may very well be your problem OVER TRAINED YOUNG BIRDS TRAINED OUT TO 600 MILES,like I said look closer to home. ...GEORGE;)
I don't think he meant the birds FLEW 600 miles at one time. Overall training, when added up would be 600 miles. Say,, 10 60 miles tosses? That's 600 miles.
Now, I agree that's a little overkill maybe...........
However.......did every club member train that much? Did every combine member train that much? If not, then what was THEIR problem?
I get a little perturbed at people ALWAYS blaming the fancier. There's no doubt that much of what goes wrong IS the fanciers fault, but when you've got dozens of flyers training dozens of different ways and feeding dozens of different way and do EVERYTHING different and they ALL have bad returns, IMHO, there's something going on beside JUST the fancier............

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I did mean total tosses, my birds this year are light system, they were all trained out to my 30 mile spot before I cut and pulled flights. After 30 days of lock down they had two weeks of loft flying morning and afternoon, then back to the 15 mile toss 3 times and worked out to my breaking spot which is 60 miles. 5 times at this spot followed by a 80 mile club toss one week before the first race. I'm the long man in our club by average of 25 miles, also 40 mile average south.On the club toss we had 5 mph headwinds and my birds were 40 yds per min ahead of the rest, I sent 35 and had 22 back within 3 minutes of each other and the rest within the following 30 min. Maybe this is overtraining and I burned my birds out before race season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts