Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What time should I release my birds for the first time? They get fed around 5pm daily, just before sun down. Im thinking around mid day. So they have sufficient time to mess around and then return, and will be hungry, only having eaten the day before. Letting them out tomorrow. Please let me know

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why
Let them out in the morning. Also check the weather for the next few days. Don't let them out if there will be stormy weather or strong wind.
I've read elsewhere that a couple hours before feed time is best, and in the afternoon
so they know it's getting dark soon and don't go far, and not out all day for hawks to catch. Why is it a different suggestion everywhere I look? I know your probably coming from the angle of giving the birds all day to decide whether or not they want to return and perhaps find a new habitat to live. But my intention is for the birds to return home. I don't want to lose them

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why I've read elsewhere that a couple hours before feed time is best, and in the afternoon
so they know it's getting dark soon and don't go far, and not out all day for hawks to catch. Why is it a different suggestion everywhere I look? I know your probably coming from the angle of giving the birds all day to decide whether or not they want to return and perhaps find a new habitat to live. But my intention is for the birds to return home. I don't want to lose them

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please chime in people. I'm Tryna figgure this out. Everyone seems to have completely different opinions. I'm trying to get a definitive answer

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi Shaheem, there is nothing wrong about letting the birds out in the afternoon you know the lay of the land you know when the hawks are around you know all about the birds in your area that feral flock near your loft, i think it is a good idea to let them out in the afternoon now that i know the situation

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Shaheem, there is nothing wrong about letting the birds out in the afternoon you know the lay of the land you know when the hawks are around you know all about the birds in your area that feral flock near your loft, i think it is a good idea to let them out in the afternoon now that i know the situation
I don't know anything about hawks, but I spoke with a local pigeon club owner who owns and flies 800 birds and they said that there are hawks in the city, and when I asked if there's a particular time to fly, to avoid them, they said not really. They said to let my birds fly half an hour then call them in, for the first time. But I didn't ask what time I should fly them. I'm just trying to get as much information I can. And whatever is recommended the most is what I will do

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know anything about hawks, but I spoke with a local pigeon club owner who owns and flies 800 birds and they said that there are hawks in the city, and when I asked if there's a particular time to fly, to avoid them, they said not really. They said to let my birds fly half an hour then call them in, for the first time. But I didn't ask what time I should fly them. I'm just trying to get as much information I can. And whatever is recommended the most is what I will do
I'm now thinking 3.30pm. 2 hours before dark and one hour and change before feed time. That should be insentive to not go far, and get back to the loft before dark and in time for dinner. I really don't know ****. I'm just doing my best here to figgure this out. It's important to me

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi, 2 hours is not much time, i am going back to when i liked Marina B 1st post let them out in the morning when you let them out and they start to go a little far use the whistle to try and keep them close to your loft, and when you let them out just let them walk out dont chase them up, you say you feed them at 5pm when your sure of the day you will let them out feed them a little earlier or at 5 give them less then you usually give them

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, 2 hours is not much time, i am going back to when i liked Marina B 1st post let them out in the morning when you let them out and they start to go a little far use the whistle to try and keep them close to your loft, and when you let them out just let them walk out dont chase them up, you say you feed them at 5pm when your sure of the day you will let them out feed them a little earlier or at 5 give them less then you usually give them
You don't seem to have a firm opinion, but thankyou for the response

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once they are out, you will have no control over the distance they will fly. What if they can't make it back before dark? I still think early morning, but it's your decision to make.
I'll take that into consideration. The weather's taking a turn for the worse so I'll have to hold out a few days anway. I'll phone a few pigeon clubs and see what they think in the meantime. Everybody has polar opposite opinions on this website which leads me to believe nobody knows what the **** they're talking about

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi , there are only 2 people replying to your post and we both agree to let them out in the morning, you told me in a private message last week that you knew when the hawks were around you told me about a feral flock near you i went on that info. to tell you you can let them out in the afternoon but not with 2 hours of daylight left.maybe i dont know **** about pigeons

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi , there are only 2 people replying to your post and we both agree to let them out in the morning, you told me in a private message last week that you knew when the hawks were around you told me about a feral flock near you i went on that info. to tell you you can let them out in the afternoon but not with 2 hours of daylight left.maybe i dont know **** about pigeons
I said nothing of the sort. To the contrary I said birds of prey are a concern and that I do not know when and if they are active in my area and cannot find any information on such. And that the only bird of prey I've seen was a sea eagle I once spotted. The ferrals on the nearby rooftop I did mention. But I made no mention of hawks and certainly didn't proclaim to know their schedule. Go back and read the message.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Polar opposite opinions I refered to was in reference to the link I posted from this website in which multiple people say to release in the afternoon

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I'll take that into consideration. The weather's taking a turn for the worse so I'll have to hold out a few days anway. I'll phone a few pigeon clubs and see what they think in the meantime. Everybody has polar opposite opinions on this website which leads me to believe nobody knows what the **** they're talking about
I've done many soft releases in the past. Always in the morning, gives them time to get used to being outside. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What time should I release my birds for the first time? They get fed around 5pm daily, just before sun down. Im thinking around mid day. So they have sufficient time to mess around and then return, and will be hungry, only having eaten the day before. Letting them out tomorrow. Please let me know
If they coop in around 7:45, I let them out around 3 depending on my schedule. I prefer to babysit. I have neighbor cat issues. When I go inside, cats come in the yard. And they've been getting bolder every time over 2 years. Caught one in the coop last weekend. Hawks they deal with on their own. I try to shoo them away but doesn't always work. I have kings so they're pretty tough. If one or 2 get hawk spooked, they'll come back tomorrow. Plus I like to ground feed and help them with shower time. I seldom let the birds out in morning simply because they won't coop in til 7:45. I can rarely dedicate my entire day to babysitting. But I agree they love to be out in the mornings. And they love rain also. You'll figure times that work for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If they coop in around 7:45, I let them out around 3 depending on my schedule. I prefer to babysit. I have neighbor cat issues. When I go inside, cats come in the yard. And they've been getting bolder every time over 2 years. Caught one in the coop last weekend. Hawks they deal with on their own. I try to shoo them away but doesn't always work. I have kings so they're pretty tough. If one or 2 get hawk spooked, they'll come back tomorrow. Plus I like to ground feed and help them with shower time. I seldom let the birds out in morning simply because they won't coop in til 7:45. I can rarely dedicate my entire day to babysitting. But I agree they love to be out in the mornings. And they love rain also. You'll figure times that work for you.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like there's no one way of doing this. I'm not up and about in the morning so it will be after mid day, they know they get fed around 5. I was told by a person who races pigeons to call them in after half an hour on the first time, and build up from there. Some time in the afternoon should be ok. I don't think there going to take off and fly miles away, and need all day to return. I saw a documentary where they put GPS on ferral pigeons and they all stayed within a 4 block radias. I'm not letting them out in the morning and leaving them out for an entire day on their first time out

1 - 20 of 46 Posts