Pigeon-Talk banner

First release, what time?

2K views 45 replies 5 participants last post by  Shaheem 
#1 ·
What time should I release my birds for the first time? They get fed around 5pm daily, just before sun down. Im thinking around mid day. So they have sufficient time to mess around and then return, and will be hungry, only having eaten the day before. Letting them out tomorrow. Please let me know

#3 ·
Why I've read elsewhere that a couple hours before feed time is best, and in the afternoon
so they know it's getting dark soon and don't go far, and not out all day for hawks to catch. Why is it a different suggestion everywhere I look? I know your probably coming from the angle of giving the birds all day to decide whether or not they want to return and perhaps find a new habitat to live. But my intention is for the birds to return home. I don't want to lose them

#6 ·
Hi Shaheem, there is nothing wrong about letting the birds out in the afternoon you know the lay of the land you know when the hawks are around you know all about the birds in your area that feral flock near your loft, i think it is a good idea to let them out in the afternoon now that i know the situation

#7 ·
I don't know anything about hawks, but I spoke with a local pigeon club owner who owns and flies 800 birds and they said that there are hawks in the city, and when I asked if there's a particular time to fly, to avoid them, they said not really. They said to let my birds fly half an hour then call them in, for the first time. But I didn't ask what time I should fly them. I'm just trying to get as much information I can. And whatever is recommended the most is what I will do

#12 ·
I'll take that into consideration. The weather's taking a turn for the worse so I'll have to hold out a few days anway. I'll phone a few pigeon clubs and see what they think in the meantime. Everybody has polar opposite opinions on this website which leads me to believe nobody knows what the **** they're talking about

#10 · (Edited)
Hi, 2 hours is not much time, i am going back to when i liked Marina B 1st post let them out in the morning when you let them out and they start to go a little far use the whistle to try and keep them close to your loft, and when you let them out just let them walk out dont chase them up, you say you feed them at 5pm when your sure of the day you will let them out feed them a little earlier or at 5 give them less then you usually give them

#13 ·
Hi , there are only 2 people replying to your post and we both agree to let them out in the morning, you told me in a private message last week that you knew when the hawks were around you told me about a feral flock near you i went on that info. to tell you you can let them out in the afternoon but not with 2 hours of daylight left.maybe i dont know **** about pigeons

#14 ·
I said nothing of the sort. To the contrary I said birds of prey are a concern and that I do not know when and if they are active in my area and cannot find any information on such. And that the only bird of prey I've seen was a sea eagle I once spotted. The ferrals on the nearby rooftop I did mention. But I made no mention of hawks and certainly didn't proclaim to know their schedule. Go back and read the message.

#18 ·
If they coop in around 7:45, I let them out around 3 depending on my schedule. I prefer to babysit. I have neighbor cat issues. When I go inside, cats come in the yard. And they've been getting bolder every time over 2 years. Caught one in the coop last weekend. Hawks they deal with on their own. I try to shoo them away but doesn't always work. I have kings so they're pretty tough. If one or 2 get hawk spooked, they'll come back tomorrow. Plus I like to ground feed and help them with shower time. I seldom let the birds out in morning simply because they won't coop in til 7:45. I can rarely dedicate my entire day to babysitting. But I agree they love to be out in the mornings. And they love rain also. You'll figure times that work for you.

#19 ·
Thanks for the reply. It seems like there's no one way of doing this. I'm not up and about in the morning so it will be after mid day, they know they get fed around 5. I was told by a person who races pigeons to call them in after half an hour on the first time, and build up from there. Some time in the afternoon should be ok. I don't think there going to take off and fly miles away, and need all day to return. I saw a documentary where they put GPS on ferral pigeons and they all stayed within a 4 block radias. I'm not letting them out in the morning and leaving them out for an entire day on their first time out

#25 ·
Just spoke with someone from a local pigeon club, told em I feed em at 5pm. I asked if there's a specific time i should release them and he casually replied " not really " but said do it in the evening before feed time. And that they'l probably just come out and sit around for a while. That settles it

#26 ·
Well. Today was the big day. The weather was nice so I let em out. They walked around my balcony pecking the grout for a few minutes, then took off and circled around a few times and landed on my buildings roof. Then snow pea my white pigeon took off and left her man pidge behind. She flew quite far and landed on a building, then flew back and around my building, then off into the distance. Pidge is perched up 12 feet from my balcony on a building ledge with other pigeons. I called them in with my whistle like I allways do at feed time, called again and again but they ignored me. They havnt eaten today, and it's dark now. Well, hopefully they return tomorrow or the next day. If not. This will be my first and last time doing this. I'm not built for it

#38 ·
Not surprised at all if they don't return for up to a week. I've had birds I've written off and they show up. Watch the neighbors roofs. You'll spot em. They'll be back. When you least expect it. I'd spend entire weekends in the backyard trying to spot a bird. When I had one bird he would fly so high and just beeline out of sight. A week later he's back. I thought maybe he found a mate. Maybe I treated him poorly. Maybe this maybe that. Only to have it sitting on my roof after I gave up. First flight is the toughest lol. After that things usually fall into place. Wait until you have to relocate. That's tough. I had to go catch that same 1st bird with my hands at the old property loft site. Took a week everyday after work with food. He was so hungry and thirsty he would dive bomb me on site. Finally I used food and grabbed him and boxed him. Took him to the loft he flew away from at the new house 5 miles away. Today we've been here 2 1/2 years now and he's got great grandkids he plays with. He's the boss of 40 birds.
Pigeons are an adventure, often a worry, always a responsibility rain.or shine, an expense, an addiction, an excitement and reward and a part of your life. You're in the beginning. Perfectly normal. Be patient.

#39 ·
Not surprised at all if they don't return for up to a week. I've had birds I've written off and they show up. Watch the neighbors roofs. You'll spot em. They'll be back. When you least expect it. I'd spend entire weekends in the backyard trying to spot a bird. When I had one bird he would fly so high and just beeline out of sight. A week later he's back. I thought maybe he found a mate. Maybe I treated him poorly. Maybe this maybe that. Only to have it sitting on my roof after I gave up. First flight is the toughest lol. After that things usually fall into place. Wait until you have to relocate. That's tough. I had to go catch that same 1st bird with my hands at the old property loft site. Took a week everyday after work with food. He was so hungry and thirsty he would dive bomb me on site. Finally I used food and grabbed him and boxed him. Took him to the loft he flew away from at the new house 5 miles away. Today we've been here 2 1/2 years now and he's got great grandkids he plays with. He's the boss of 40 birds.
Pigeons are an adventure, often a worry, always a responsibility rain.or shine, an expense, an addiction, an excitement and reward and a part of your life. You're in the beginning. Perfectly normal. Be patient.
Hope your right. I've done my part anyway. It's on them now, it's out of my hands. No use worrying, as difficult as that is. I can't imagine how they could just adbandon their little home where they're given good food, clean water, shelter and safety, it would be like me handing in the keys to my appartment and just deciding to be homeless and eat whatever crap I can find. But then again I don't know how pigeons think, but they're pretty smart. It seems so insane having these little birds you care about so much and then you just open their door and watch them fly away, only being able to hope they come back. There's no strings on them. I can't stand on my balcony all day tomorrow calling them, I'll try a few times and just leave their door open with some food in there I guess

#40 ·
Saw my white pigeon snow pea zooming around with the huge flock by my building just now! I know it's her, she has a black and grey tail. Up there circling around, hundreds of them, she's the only white one. Pretty sure I saw pidge with her too, he's a blue checker so it's harder to tell, but he's really blue and not really grey, very pretty, certain I saw him. Pea nearly came down to eat but was hesitant because I was there I think, she's a little nervous, but they're pretty comfortable around me. Called em in a bunch of times and nearly had em come down, I put a little food on the the balcony ledge. They can eat that, then come in the coop for more and water. Was one of the coolest things I've ever seen seeing my girl up there zooming around with that gigantic flock. Didn't think I'd see them again. They'l come eat when they're hungry enough, they know where home is

#44 ·
Ah, give her time. It's so nice to see them flying out there.
[/QU it
Ah, give her time. It's so nice to see them flying out there.
It's getting dark now, it would be nice if they got their butts in the coop, they haven't come down to eat yet, but I'm thinking they will. They're just having too much fun I think. I'm just glad to see them around

#46 ·
It's nearly been a week now. I'm not hopeful they'l come back. Although I didn't expect to see them again at all, but I did a few days in. And snow nearly came down to eat. Pretty sure I saw her yesterday on the other side of the building the ferals hang on. I think releasing birds and having them take their time to return is one thing. But releasing them when you have a huge flock of ferals literally on their door step changes things. They're very sociable birds. And may want to return to eat, but equally want to stay with their new friends/flock. I really don't know. But it seems like that's how it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.