Pigeon-Talk banner

First squab we;ve had got attacked - what do i do??

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spirit wings 
G
#1 ·
Hi all.

Well long story short, me and my partner have 4 pure white straight tailed pigeons. We lost one of the original 4 and got another one to add to the flock. We got send 3 females and 1 male, one female departed and we replaced her with a new male. However, the 'pair' that used to be inseperable seem to have a love traingle issue going on now, because when there was only 3 left the male seems to have mated with our other female. She laid eggs, they both sat, they hatched yesterday and the other jelous female has attacked the squab! We think we got to it pretty quick but it looked injured, it was still alive so we put it back with its mother - now i dont know what to do, do i remove the baby if its dead or will she do that? I was so so upset, our first baby, i almost cried!

Another question is do we give the jelous female to our pigeon loving friend who lives close by to stop these attacks from occuring?

please help!!

thanks

hannah x

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your mishap.
It would help to know your setup (loft-cage). I would separate the other birds from the nesting pair. If you have a loft setup, you could just put another cage or large dog crate inside to put the other 2 birds in for the time being without disturbing mom, dad and baby.
How old is the baby? and what type of injury? "Scalping" is the most common attack of young. (the other adult pecks on their head)
Can you post a picture?

#4 ·
Hi there

Thanks for your replies.

We have a loft we built and unfortunately the baby had dies, we removed it yesterday - good thing is we have temperarily seperated the birds and we have one squab still alive and seemingly doing well!!

My next issue is, because our birds are still in homing we have a flight built on the outside of the loft, temperarily we have plaved our old dovecote on the ground of the flight and put nesting materials in for the other two birds to sleep in - 2 questions really, will the breeding pair be ok not getting out for the time being, and will the other pair be ok in the temperary housing.

We keep pure white straight tailed pigeons and we have one fantail dove.

Thanks all

#5 ·
a breeding pair on eggs or feeding babies should not be let out because something could happen to one or both of the pair, they could not get back to eggs or to feed babies. Im not clear on your temp housing, guess you just have to watch and see and use common sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.