Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now this is what it's all about;). I let seven birds loose for the first time last night. They didn't go far, just to the top of the loft then back down, five or six times, but that is okay for the first time. The next door neighbor come over to see them and when I did the whistle and the feed can thing they all went in, in about two or three minutes. Talk about a smile, I was so happy:D. Going to do it again tonight.
Bob

View attachment 15492

·
Registered
896 Posts
That's awesome!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Very nice loft, but what are those funny looking things with the Beaks? :)
I noticed the stick supporting the landing board, some folks put a hinge connecting the stick to the landing board, and others put chains from the loft to the landing board, with a support 2x4 so the landing board can't go down any farther. With solid landing boards like that, sometimes the wind can catch it and make it jump around.
My old loft had permanent 45 degree supports under a solid landing board back to the loft, under the landing board. Then traps with smaller openings(one bird at a time).
Isn't it a great feeling to have built a good loft for your Pigeons? :D
Just think of all of the people out there that that are missing that!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First thing--Sorry for length of this.

Thanks to all on the loft. ND, you are so right on the landing support and that is in the works.

I did a no no Saturday morning, I let the birds out in the morning instead of afternoon. About an hour and a half later they were on the loft roof and I was in the screen porch having coffee. I caught the sight of something in the tree over the loft and it was a cooper. By the time I got out of the porch my babies were all over the place. Two stayed on the roof, two went to the house roof, two took off for parts unknown and one was flying across the yard and the cooper hit it and feathers flow, but he made it over to the shed roof. I got the birds in and I checked the one and no broken skin (very lucky). None of these birds have even flown in the yard just landing board to top of loft and back to board the three times they have been out. Half hour later I saw one of the last two on a wire about 75 yards away. I went over and did the feed can thing and he went to the loft and in. Now there is only one left out and last I saw him he was way above the trees and going like heck to the east. Worked all day in the yard and late afternoon I saw him/her flying and found h/h on a roof about 150 yards to the east. I whistled and shook the feed can and h/h just looked at me took off to the east again until it was out of sight again. I finished in the yard (hour and a half) and went in the loft to change their water and there h/h was on the perch. I didn't hear or see it come in at all, but sure was happy.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts