Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first round and I am so lost. I have some white homers that were born last year and were NOT banded. This was my fault... Fast forward to a week ago, I have some that have paired up, laid eggs, and have attempted to record keep. Since they are all white, I can't tell who is who and have been counting on timing to figure out which one is the hen and which one is the cock.

I went out earlier and took note of who was incubating the eggs around noon and entered it into my pigeon planner. I went back out a few minutes ago and one of them switch shifts but the other one is the same cock that was on it earlier! Does this mean the hen rejected it? Or does this happen?

2nd question, those that have white homers, how do you tell them apart? Do you put another ez clip band on to differentiate?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Not all pigeons will sit on the eggs at the same time. I have cocks that sit on the eggs when the hens should be and the hens sit when the cocks should be sitting. They don't give up on the eggs very easily so don't worry about that.

What I would do is buy 2 different coloured bands that are numbered. Put on one colour on all of the hens and one on all of the cocks. This colour will help you tell apart hens from cocks. Then, the numbers on the bands will help you determine among the hens and cocks who is who. You can buy snap on bands from most pigeon supply places.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's genius! I just put in my order for pink and dark blue. As for the male sitting and hens, so it IS possible that the cock can sit on the eggs more than the hens? This is more for my own record keeping and I hate to keep picking them up and checking to see which bird is the male/hen and their band number. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
910 Posts
The hen sits at night. look after dark with a torch but don't lift her off the nest she may not sit on the eggs properly if you pick her up after dark. mark the wing with a pen or something, then band her during the day.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, or just check first thing in the morning. The hen will still be on the nest then. During the day you can't be sure, as sometimes one or the other won't get off and share the eggs. I have one male that will sit for a short while, then get off, so she has to take over. A little while later he is on them again. If you check first thing in the morning, the hen will still be on them from the night before. Hard when they all look alike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help with this. Im going to get some party hair dye and spray their tail, regroup, and do this in a few days when the bands are in. I'd hate to keep bothering them while they're sitting on the eggs.

This should be ok, right? I remember seeing a roller fancier spraying them with the temp hair dye so he can see which bird is doing the flips. I could spray them and when they are out of the nest take note and then when it's all said let them bathe.:D

·
Registered
851 Posts
If your birds are used to you they shouldn't mind you in the loft while they are sitting. Just make sure you don't damage any eggs.

Make sure you have bands for the birds you are hatching now. That way you can avoid a repeat.

As to the die, there are specific products (i've only seen the in the EU) for pigeons. Remember that your bird will preen tails, wings, crop and any other feather they can get to. You may be better off with a little food coloring in water instead of hair die. I think that would be much safer. And since they are white, you don't need it to be very strong color.

Just an idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.