Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I was interested in getting homing pigeons fr fun, I wouldn't race them, but i would like to be able to release them from 30 or so miles way and see them come back :D I am worried about not getting good enough pigeon. Would a non pedigree bird work? how about these: http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Opal-White-Bar-Racing-Homer/Non-Pedigreeed-Racing-Pigeons
or anything on this page:
http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/Non-Pedigreeed-Racing-Pigeons

Edit: better question which of these birds are the best, which will perform the worst if at all?

thanks for helping,
Ben

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Well the white bar what ever you were looking at not sure if they would home or not, none of the birds on this site have race records from the parents or siblings. Usually when you buy an off colored bird they were bred for show, we have people on this site you could get racers from that you can trust.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f14/top-quality-racing-pigeons-4-sale-78321.html
Dennis has any color you may want and they all race.
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help pete, if i buy birds from this site or any are the birds adults or very young? Are they "squeakers"? Bya this site i mean from dennis. Do pigeons leave your house for hours or just hang out?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you call Dennis I'm sure he will sell you squeakers or adult breeders what ever you want. Young birds will take off and be gone for an hour or more if healthy old birds not so much. Now these are homers we are talking about, if you buy old birds and try to let them out you may as well kiss them good by.
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How long do pigeons live? and yes I would like to be able to let them out, so adult birds are off of the ist. Question,: what if you move? will the bids run away?

I am thinking of getting birds close to the end of december, I live in sarasota florida.

Also how do I keep them from joining a local flock, we have lots in the area.
Waht about color, are white bird more likely to be seen by a hawk than blue ones?

·
Banned
569 Posts
How long do pigeons live? and yes I would like to be able to let them out, so adult birds are off of the ist. Question,: what if you move? will the bids run away?

I am thinking of getting birds close to the end of december, I live in sarasota florida.

Also how do I keep them from joining a local flock, we have lots in the area.
Waht about color, are white bird more likely to be seen by a hawk than blue ones?
Pigeons can live for 15 to even 20 years in domestic life. I'm impressed you are thinking of the future when it comes to homing pigeons. If you moved they can be hard to settle in a new place and probably if they are good homers fly back to your last location they were raised in, so moving is a problem with homing pigeons. Some keepers will keep them a few pairs and keep them in with an aviary and let them breed some young that can be flown at the new place. Pairs can be sold or gifted to other people that will keep them prisoner and safe, but you never know for sure, life changes and things happen. I'm starting now and not adding any new birds or breeding and Iam 50. So I won't have to worry about the pigeons when I'm old. I have white homers that I only fly around the house now, but have released on occasion. There are other performance breeds that you can fly around the home but not take down that road, like tipplers, rollers and the like. Even mixed breeds. But the purebreeds sell easier and are more accepted if you gift them in the future. Just a few things to think about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help. Some moe questions:D; people say that they have stronger birds than others that will travel farther. Does a pigeons neck have anything to do with it? Iv eseen pictures of champion birds all with skiny necks, but on the site suggested earleir by pete non eof them have skinny necks, thoug they have apparently been able to perform. Also which type of pigeon is best at sprints such as under 150 miles, maybe even 50 miles. And could anyone answer the last 2 questions in my last post that whtpigeon didnt answer (still thanks for your help)

I like the way the rock pigeon looks and i saw a video of someone with one, they didnt use it for homing but they did keep it outside and it didnt run away. Is there a captive homing rock pigeon?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, white birds are noticed more easily than the darker birds. They stand out more. But whatever the color, once you have pigeons, the hawks will find that out and be there.
As far as the local flocks, you need to make them like their home and feel safe there so they don't want to leave. They usually want to come back to where they are safe and fed. Once they have a mate or even mate and babies, they should want to come back to them.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
See if you can find a local club.....there should be one. You can get birds locally then, and visit other people's lofts.....see how they keep and fly their birds. If you are not looking to race competitively or over long distances (30miles is not far for a homer), than most homer stock will probably work for you. You don't necessarily need the fastest or ones that will home over 500 miles, for example. You can also get homers in many different colors......recessive reds, opals, blacks, whites etc. and get a nice mixed color flock if that is what you want. The top birds of the top race families are usually blue bars and checks but you can good birds in the other colors. A fun hobby! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would do what Woodnative suggested. I am sure there are pigeon owners around your area that you can visit. We all love to talk about our birds and experiences. You can gain valuable knowledge and see how the birds are taken care of so you make sure you get healthy ones. And you don't need to buy from an expensive racing breeder for the hobby you want. $20 for a homer is an average price unless your showing or racing. Also consider, asking some people who have racing birds they feel are not up to their quality and do not want. As long as they as young squeakers, you could use a few of these for your hobby and rescue them. A win, win.
But I also suggest you study this site and all its wealth of information and search the wed and continue to read, read, read. You need to know what some of the typical illness pigeons can get, what medications you should have on hand, their feed, proper coop, and how to train them. It is all so fun and exciting, this pigeon hobby. But knowledge and proper care your birds will make it rewarding for both you and them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes christispigeons i will continue to read for months to come until the summer. I may not move to my final house for another 6 months, but is there a type of pigeon that can be rehomed as an adult? I could get one in the meantime till i can get homers at a final house. If i have what you call a roller, can i let them oitside and aboit the yard without them running away? And how do you train birds to trap when you whistle?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This is where it is good to see other fanciers and their birds......you can see first hand how they are trained, what breed, how they fly. Good homers have a VERY strong homing instinct. That is why they often can not be rehomed after adulthood and flown as they will fly back home to where they were raised and first flown (usually). However, all breeds love their home. Homers will fly miles and miles to come home. All breeds love their home. However, some breeds will settle into a new home quickly....often in two weeks to a month. Birds like rollers and tipplers, and NY flying flights and others are flyers that will fly in the air and then return to the loft. All of these have different flying styles and slightly different training for OPTIMUM flight. Even fancy breeds can be left out and trained to come back in, although they may not actually fly in the air much. All of these love their home. If they were taken a few miles away they would WANT to come back but would not have the ABILITY to do so like homers. Look into some of the other breeds. Some of the middle eastern breeds are unique flyers and divers. I like the look of New York Flying Flights with their white wings, red beaks and many different colors (and they are also great parents). So many choices!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you tell me how each of these birds fly? And if they can be rehomed esily, i may get 2 of whichever, then when i move i will ad 2 more and a pair of homers. Would that work, can they be mixed?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you just want colorful birds to fly around your house....the COULD be mixed. However, there is a chance of them crossbreeding later on.....and then you end up with mutts.....which may be pretty or even fly but have no value if you want or need to sell them later to someone else. I would advise to stick with one breed....maybe something with a lot of color. Like I said look up New York Flying Flights. You may like the look of a homer better and homers do come in a lot of different colors and a mixed color flock flying around is beautiful!! Rolling rollers are really neat but need a little more training to fly and roll at their best.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Thanks for the help. Some moe questions:D; people say that they have stronger birds than others that will travel farther. Does a pigeons neck have anything to do with it? Iv eseen pictures of champion birds all with skiny necks, but on the site suggested earleir by pete non eof them have skinny necks, thoug they have apparently been able to perform. Also which type of pigeon is best at sprints such as under 150 miles, maybe even 50 miles. And could anyone answer the last 2 questions in my last post that whtpigeon didnt answer (still thanks for your help)

I like the way the rock pigeon looks and i saw a video of someone with one, they didnt use it for homing but they did keep it outside and it didnt run away. Is there a captive homing rock pigeon?
BOP's (birds of prey) do not like one color over another. They do single out prey from the rest if they are in a flock, example one brown bird in a flock of white , one white bird in a flock of gray black bars, etc... If they are all the same the slow and inexperienced get singled out. Color is only important when you only have a few or one that is different in a group of like colors.
Rollers and other breeds that can be rehomed is probably your best bet if it's not that important for you to make the birds travel and fly home. Personally I don't see the point unless you are racing. Making the birds work to get back home is not nessasary to their well being and some get caught or lost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FROM what I hafve read NY flyers are happy to join other flocks, but in a geroup of 4 would I have problems? could someone suggest which type of flying pigeon I should get for 4? could I use them to catch ferral pigeonds?

·
Banned
569 Posts
FROM what I hafve read NY flyers are happy to join other flocks, but in a geroup of 4 would I have problems? could someone suggest which type of flying pigeon I should get for 4? could I use them to catch ferral pigeonds?
A group of four can turn into none pretty quick if there is a BOP around. The Hawks singles out small flocks. I'm not sure four is even considered a flock, I would say you should get at least 10 or more if you want to fly them at your location , safety in numbers and more eyes to the sky, flocking and flying high is their defense, regardless of what breed it is. You do not want feral pigeons in your loft just in case they carry a sickness they can pass on to your birds. Always quarantine new birds for at least a month before putting any new bird in with your flock.b

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the reason I said 4 is because I didnt ant to have a huge cage. If I got ten the price would go up. Could I get 8 of them for 150 bucks? Or are good birds more expensive?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.