Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had white pigeons for about a year now but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to see them lay eggs in spring.

I was slow on getting the nesting material. I didn't see an egg yesterday then this morning I went and got some grass hay and when I came home there was an egg in one of the boxes along with a pigeon, though it wasn't really sitting on the egg, just right next to it. Also, since I was late on getting them nest material - the nest itself is pretty bad - just a few sticks in the box here and there.

I've put the hay in the loft. Should I take any additional action? I was thinking about finding a bowl (size?), filling it with hay and putting the egg in it - but wouldn't the pair just reject it? It doesn't look like she has laid the second egg yet, but I don't think the first one will make it through the night. Though, it is warming up and I don't think it will freeze tonight (I'm in Fort Collins, CO btw).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Alex

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can try to put the nest bowls in now and put the egg in it, if they do not lay the second in there then you can take the eggs out and discard them, and they will start over hopefully in the nest bowl and use the hay you provided. make sure they have a calcium suppliment.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Or you could just put the nesting materials in the loft and let them take them and add it to their nest. They will do that, and there is less chance of them abandoning the first egg. Pigeons can and do raise babies without bowls and they do very well as long as they have plenty of nesting material. If they don't build a full enough nest, you can add some to their box. I have never had a problem with my birds for doing that. I would just leave them to adding to their nest and see how it goes. Pigeons sometimes will build a nest BESIDE the bowl! I think they'll probably be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts